A highly engaging five-day online Programme that fosters rich interaction on issues relevant to the work of the UN and its partners in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement through panel discussions, small-group breakout activities, and peer-exchange.
There are 62 free slots sponsored by the state of North-Rhine Westphalia. To apply, please click on sign up to register and then also fill the scholarship application form below.
The virtual UN Summer Academy aims to bring together sustainability actors from multiple different sectors and regions on a common platform to explore key challenges to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, particularly in areas such as health and well-being, social protection, economic transformation, and climate action. The theme of the UN Summer Academy of 2022 is Sustainable Transformation Pathways. The 5-day Programme will examine different thematic areas using conceptual tools like systems thinking, design thinking and futures thinking.
As in previous editions, the Academy combines academic rigour with cutting-edge thinking, providing participants with unparalleled learning and networking opportunities. The very interactive Programme is designed to facilitate and foster dialogue with thought and action leaders who are currently working towards the implementation and the localization of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement. Participants will explore transformative approaches required for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, and they will share concrete examples and practices from diverse country contexts and stakeholder perspectives.
At the same time, this virtual edition capitalizes on the additional opportunities offered by its online format. Through experiential learning methodologies, participants will engage with a wide range of expert inputs, as well as in peer-to-peer learning, knowledge exchange and collaborative co-creation.
Thanks to the generous support of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, this course is offered at a reduced price of $500.
Upon successful completion of the UN Summer Academy, participants will:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the key notions underpinning the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change;
- Demonstrate an improved understanding of the key challenges and opportunities for sustainable development;
- Have benefitted from unparalleled networking opportunities, and demonstrate an increased awareness of the role of different development partners; and
- Have received exposure to good practices and conceptual approaches in the area of sustainable development.
UN young professionals, national and local government representatives, civil society representatives, academics, private sector representatives, as well as a select number of doctoral and master's students.
Applicants will be selected on the basis of their professional/academic profile and motivation statement.
Time requirements: As detailed in the “Course Methodology” section above, this is a synchronous course. Participants will be expected to be online for four-five specified hours on all five days. Exact times will be shared with successful applicants shortly before the course begins, but UNSSC will offer two time windows: participants can select a window of either 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CEST or 2:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. CEST).
Technical requirements: To participate in this online training, participants will need to access the course through a desktop PC or laptop with an internet connection, as well as a functioning webcam, microphone, and speakers. Internet speed and volume should be sufficient for four-five hours of video-conferencing each day. Due to the interactive and applied format of the Academy, it is not possible to participate using a mobile device. Further details on technical requirements will be shared with successful applicants shortly before the course begins.
Cost of participation
The course fee of $500 USD covers the following:
- Five days of online training, including a technical orientation* on how to use all online platforms and tools used for the course.
- Exclusive access to a UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
- Participants are expected to cover all costs related to their participation in the Summer Academy.
In order to offer highly–qualified candidates the possibility to participate in the online UN Summer Academy, the state of North-Rhine Westphalia is funding 62 full scholarships, covering fees for the five-day online learning event.
The scholarship application process is highly competitive and we encourage you to finance your application through other means if possible.
To qualify for a scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have professional or academic experience in sustainable development;
- Be able to act as a multiplier, applying and passing on acquired knowledge; and
- Be available to actively participate. The virtual Summer Academy is synchronous, meaning participants are expected to be online at the same time during specified hours (either 10:00 am to 4:00 pm CEST or 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm CEST) every day, 27 June 2022 till 01 July 2022.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.