This course considers modern-day terrorism from a theoretical and especially from an empirical perspective.
Although the phenomenon of terrorism has been studied extensively from descriptive and theoretical viewpoints, many of its underlying motivations and dynamics remain difficult to pin down empirically. For example, the US alone has spent trillions of dollars on the 'War on Terror', only to harvest widespread hostility across many Middle Eastern countries. Why is that so and what could be done to perhaps avoid such undesirable consequences? This course explores what we know about terrorism. Firstly, we study whether, when, and why terrorism has been successful to varying degrees. Secondly, we turn to the intimate relationship between terrorism and the media; exploring whether and how news coverage is likely so crucial for terror groups; and what this means for a free press. Thirdly, we consider the role of religion in terror movements, as well as radicalization along with several historical and contemporary movements (e.g., for Nazi Germany and Islamist extremism). Fourth and finally, we evaluate counterterrorism strategies, explore the few cases for which empirical evidence is available, distinguishing between approaches based on force vs. hearts and minds.
Coordinating lecturer: Michael Jetter
Forms of tuition: lectures
Forms of assessment: presentations and a short essay
Credits: 3 ECTS
By the end of this course, students will have learned:
- What sets terrorism apart from more traditional types of warfare.
- How the public, commentators, and researchers assess and interpret terrorism.
- What constitutes "success" for a particular group, understanding the consequences of terrorism.
- The extraordinary role of media attention for terror groups.
- The role of religious and cultural perspectives in terrorism.
- The theoretical background and empirical success of counter-terrorism strategies.
Early Bird offer
Applications received before 15 March (CET 23:59) receive a €50 Early Bird discount!
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Airport pick-up service
- Orientation program and welcome
- Course excursions (if applicable)
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of participants
- Individual/group guidance from the course organizer
- Access to all VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- On-site support
- A transcript of records and certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A discounted access to our sports facilities
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
Applications for the Academic Excellence Scholarship are open until 1 April (23:59 CET).
You can apply via the Scholarship Application Form.
For your scholarship application we request the following:
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé (CV) stating your educational background;
- A recent transcript of records (a print screen is sufficient) shows you have a grade point average of at least 85%. For example, if the highest possible mark is a 10, you need to have an average of at least an 8.5. We will take into account the differences in grading cultures. A copy of your diploma (Bachelor, Master, Ph.D.) is also sufficient if you have this.
Professional Letter of Reference Including:
- His/her/their experience working with you (either in an academic, professional, or volunteer setting)
- His/her/their motivation for recommending you for the scholarship
- Complete contact information
When filling out the scholarship form they will ask the following questions:
- Why are you interested in joining VU Amsterdam Summer School?
- What’s your motivation for selecting this course?
- How you will use the information you learn to make a positive impact in the future for both yourself and your community?
- Why do you deserve this scholarship?
The Academic Excellence Scholarship covers the tuition for one course and accommodation in one of our accommodation options (if needed) + one social activity. Please be aware that it is not possible to select more than one course for the scholarship. If you are interested in an extra course in a different session then please apply for this course via our regular registration form.
- Please fill out the Scholarship Application Form.
- Please be aware that it is only possible to select one course.
- Photographer Scholarship
Do you love to capture moments, people, and surroundings on your smartphone/camera? Do you have good editing skills and a passion for social media? Become our summer school photographer!
What do they offer: €500 discount on tuition fee
For further information, please click the "LINK TO ORIGINAL" button below.