Call for applications will open March 29, 2021.
The Walter Massey Fellowship is awarded to outstanding scientists and engineers who have recently received their Ph.D. or are in the process of completing degree requirements. This fellowship was established in honor of Argonne’s first Black laboratory director, Dr. Walter Massey, who is a distinguished advocate of equity in science and education. Walter Massey Fellows will pursue independent research that supports Argonne purpose: make game-changing discoveries and inspire new technology to meet national needs for sustainable energy, economic competitiveness, and security.
All qualified applicants will be considered for this fellowship and those who can demonstrate leadership in the areas of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are encouraged to apply.
- Proposals must align with Argonne or DOE missions
- Proposals from all areas of STEM that align with Argonne and DOE missions will be considered. Proposals in the area of climate change mitigation such as AI for climate modeling, energy storage for decarbonization, and decision science for climate threat resilience are encouraged.
- The following funding model allows Fellows to advance independent research as outlined in their fellowship proposal, while making significant contributions to Argonne initiatives:
- The first two years of the fellowship are funded 100% by Argonne’s Laboratory Directed Research Development (LDRD) Program
- The third year is funded 50% by LDRD and 50% by other programs identified by the fellow and the host division
- Fellows will receive a competitive salary, full employments benefits, and a stipend for research support
- Fellows may renew their appointments on an annual basis for up to 3 years, with the possibility of retention if of mutual interest to the fellow and Argonne.
Candidates are encouraged to review Argonne’s scientific and engineering research areas and suggest Argonne divisions aligning with your research proposal.
- Comprehensive description of Argonne’s missions, initiatives, and core capabilities
- Overview of Argonne’s science and technology research areas and related divisions
- Argonne National Laboratory: A Science and Technology Powerhouse: A fact sheet
- Research Index: A listing of all research areas and disciplines
- Argonne Strategic Initiatives: Examples of recent major initiatives
- Ph.D. conferred within three years at the time of application or completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Evidence of academic achievement with potential for technical and research leadership
- Research in areas that align with Argonne’s mission
- Interest in leadership and service as evidenced through community outreach, activities to advance diversity, equity and inclusion, professional society engagement, etc.
- Creativity and motivation
- Excellent communication skills
- Alignment with Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.