2nd Summer School on Fire Dynamics Modeling 2019
Over the last decades the demand for the modelling of fire dynamics grew significantly and the increasing complexity of the models makes them less accessible. This summer school aims to help fire safety engineers and scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying theory and algorithms of fire modelling. Detailed theoretical discussions on the fundamental models are provided by some of the model developers themselves. The theoretical parts are then accompanied by practical exercises, mostly based on the Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS). Besides the presentation of the models, scientific pre- and post-processing, with the publicly available programming language Python, is demonstrated. The participants have the possibility to use the JURECA supercomputer for the exercises during the summer school. Furthermore, discussion of validation methods completes the curriculum.
This school not only targets learning more about the underlying numerical models in common fire simulation software, like FDS, but also enables the participants to get in touch with other users as well as model developers. Since special emphasis is put on scientific work, the participants should have at least a Master’s degree in a suitable topic and a sound background in mathematics.
- Date: 13. – 17. May 2019
- Venue: Jülich Supercomputing Centre (Germany).
- The school will be free of charge for the participants and their number is limited to approximately 30 persons.
- Travel and accommodation costs have to be covered by the participants themselves.
Tentative Lecturers and Schedule
- Simo Hostikka
- Bjarne Husted
- Susanne Kilian
- Randall McDermott
- Marcos Vanella
- Lukas Arnold
To apply for participation, please consider that if there are more applicants than available seats, we will have to apply a selection criterion. This will be mainly based on the expected benefit for the applicants (research) work. Therefore, we ask you to follow this application procedure:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 22nd March 2019.
Include the following information (plain text or PDF file with just basic formatting)
- Name, gender, nationality
- Contact details: email, phone number
- Current institution (university / company)
- Current research / engineering project
- Short CV
- All of the above information will be handled confidentially. The information on the research project and the CV just will be used for the selection process.
- A participation confirmation will be send out to you until the 29th March 2019 including further information.
Contact for further information
Fire Dynamics Group at Jülich: email@example.com
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.