Fritz Thyssen Pre-Dissertation Fellowship for Doctoral Students in German and European History at North-American West Coast Universities
The Department of History at the University of California, Berkeley, and GHI West, Pacific Regional Office of the German Historical Institute Washington are pleased to announce a new fellowship funded by the Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, Germany. The program will grant up to five summer fellowships of up to 3,000 Euro each to graduate students in German and European History at North American Universities located along the West Coast (California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia). This funding will give doctoral candidates with a focus on German and European history the opportunity to work for four to six weeks in German archives and libraries to review material for their dissertation. In individual cases, outstanding projects can also be funded, which are not primarily concerned with German and European History but require research stay in German archives.
This preparatory research is intended to make it easier for doctoral candidates to write a detailed description of their project which in turn can improve their chances of success if they choose to apply for a longer-term research fellowship in Germany in the future.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a graduate program at a university in a state or province along the North American West Coast (California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia) and have worked on their project for less than 2 years
- Adequate knowledge of the German language
- Existing or planned contacts with archives and libraries in Germany
- A tabular curriculum vitae
- A brief description of the project with time and work schedule for the planned stay in the archives (maximum 15,000 characters)
- Two letters of reference from academic supervisors (sent separately)
Applicants may write in either English or German; we recommend that they use the language in which they are most proficient. Applicants will be notified about the outcome approximately one month after the deadline.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: