Internship at the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations(UNAOC) 2018, USA
The Alliance of Civilizations launched by the Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
The intern will work under the direct, overall supervision of the UNAOC Media and Information Literacy Project Manager. Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Media and Information Literacy Education:
- Support, review and coordinate uploading of new content on MIL Clearinghouse
- Support communication with related initiatives and partners
- Assist with organization of MIL events
- Assist with communication with partners of the UNESCO UNITWIN UNAOC Global University Network on Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue
- Assist with logistical details of UNESCO UNITWIN UNAOC’s activities (conferences, publications, etc.)
PLURAL+ Youth Video Festival on Migration, Diversity and Social Inclusion:
- Assist with the organization and other logistical details for the 2018 PLURAL + selection process and Award Ceremony
- Assist with the launching and outreach of PLURAL+ 2018
- Assist with the distribution of PLURAL+ 2017 Program
- Assist with updates of PLURAL+ website
- Communicate with PLURAL + partners and participants
- Support with video editing of PLURAL+ entries for social media outreach
- Support PLURAL+ social media outreach in multiple platforms
- Prepare press releases announcing PLURAL+ Festival and Awards Ceremony
- Support general coordination of workshops during PLURAL+ Festival
- Support design of program for PLURAL+ Festival
- Support all tasks for the event of PLURAL+ Festival and Awards Ceremony
- Support coordination of travel of PLURAL+ International Award Winners
PEACEapp, an initiative focusing on apps/games as venues for intercultural dialogue and conflict prevention
- Assist with the outreach of PEACEapp,
- Communicate with PEACEapp partners and participants
- Assist with updates of PEACEapp website
- Currently enrolled or recently completed university degree on Communications, Education, Political Science, or relevant program to UNAOC’s Media and Information Literacy initiatives.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience with social media and strong event organization skills is highly desirable.
- Experience organizing public events.
- Basic video editing knowledge (FCP, Adobe, and similar)
- Strong graphic design and layout skills, including familiarity with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop. Proficiency in Adobe Lightroom and/or Adobe After Effects would be a plus.
- Good knowledge of WordPress is necessary.
- Fluent in English with advanced written and verbal skills. Knowledge of other UN official languages is an advantage.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes the impact on the beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.