It is not possible to apply directly for the scholarship, but when you apply for admission to the programme of your choice, you can indicate whether you wish to be considered for this scholarship. The selection committees will review the application files for possible nominees.
Eligible candidates: Highly talented prospective students from non-EU/EEA countries
Amount of scholarship: Max. tuition fee + 11.000 euro living expenses per year
Number of scholarships/year: Approximately 55
Provided by: Utrecht University and alumni of Utrecht University
Deadline: It is not possible to apply for the scholarship, but the selection committees review the application files for possible nominees.
Prospective Bachelor's students in Economics and Business Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 April. Prospective Master's students who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 December. Please note that this implies that we need your complete application file before that date.
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
- Not have the Dutch or an EU/EEA nationality;
- Hold a non-Dutch secondary school diploma;
- Have been admitted to an International Master’s programme within one of the Graduate Schools mentioned above, the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics or to University College Utrecht;
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree (for a Master’s programme) or secondary school diploma (for a Bachelor’s programme), or an equivalent thereof;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa;
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidenced, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality and feasibility of the financial plan in the application;
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
It is not possible to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. The selection committee of the programme will select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above. The selected candidates will be offered an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship at the latest in May.
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.