Asylum Seeker Scholarship
The University has worked closely with the University of Strathclyde Students’ Association and the Scottish Refugee Council in developing this Scholarship which is intended to help Asylum Seekers and those staying in the UK on humanitarian grounds to overcome barriers in progressing to higher education.
The scholarship is open to prospective undergraduate and taught postgraduate students of the University of Strathclyde. The scholarship meets the cost of your tuition fees and includes an allowance for essential study-related expenditure.
Is this for you?
Applicants will be considered from potential students who:
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer for study at the University of Strathclyde for 2017-2018; and
- have submitted, or are the dependant of someone who has submitted, an application to the Home Office for recognition as a Refugee under the 1951 UN Convention on the Status of Refugees (hereafter “The Convention”) and not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application; or
- have been offered leave to remain in the UK on the grounds of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights provided that the student has not become eligible for Student Support from the relevant student funding body in Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
Applicants must live within commuting distance of the University as housing costs are not covered by the scholarship. In the case of students wishing to apply from outside the Glasgow area, we may require more information about commuting costs before a decision can be reached about their application.
Applications will also be considered from students who have already started their course of study but have subsequently applied for asylum and can no longer access their original funding. In these cases it will be necessary to establish that the original funding for study is no longer available and applicants will be required to provide supporting evidence.
Successful applicants will receive the following financial support:
- Tuition Fees. The University will provide scholarship funding to cover the full cost of the tuition fees for the student’s course until such time as the student is eligible to receive support from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) or Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- Study Allowance. The award will include a study allowance which will be used to reimburse essential study-related expenditure. This will include payments for books, equipment and travel to and from the University.
The award will continue to be made for the normal duration of studies for the student’s course unless/until:
- The student withdraws from the course
- The student completes the course
- The student reaches the end of the asylum and immigration appeals process and is no longer lawfully allowed to remain in the UK
- The student obtains a Home Office status which entitles them to support from SAAS, Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland. In this case the student’s fee waiver will end when government funding for fees commences
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: