The Oxford Summer School in Economic Networks
The Oxford Summer School in Economic Networks will bring together students from a range of disciplines for a week to learn about the techniques, applications and impact of network theory in economics and development. We will have globally leading experts guide lectures and interactive workshops on topics such as social networks, games and learning, financial networks, economic complexity and urban systems.
We look forward to welcoming a large number of world renowned experts in economic networks and complexity science including Prof Sanjeev Goyal, Prof Vasco Carvalho, Prof Mihaela van der Schaar and Prof Doyne Farmer.
Dates: June 26-30, 2017
Location: Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford
- This school is targeted towards graduate students (Masters/PhD) from Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Social Sciences, Geography, Development, and Policy. Other disciplines welcome.
- We will admit a select number of undergraduates by application. If you are an undergraduate, please apply with a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (each will be decided on a case-by-case basis).
- All current Masters and PhD students may directly register for the school (you may be asked to provide evidence of enrollment, or graduation within the previous 6 months).
- You will need some mathematical/computational background (in particular, familiarity with university level linear algebra and dynamical systems, and some coding experience), but no experience with networks necessary.
- Practical tutorials will be held in Matlab. We will cater for Matlab beginners, but students are expected work on their own laptop and have a Matlab installation from their home institution. Please contact us if this presents a problem.
Registration and Accommodation:
- The registration fee including all tuiton and social events will be 200 pounds sterling. Note: this does not include meals or accommodation. It does include social events (see agenda below).
- Places are allocated on a first come first served basis for eligible applicants. We will have limited places, so please sign up early.
- If you wish to attend the summer school but for some reason you would like to pay the fee later (e.g., you need to apply for funding from your home university), we will hold a place if you contact us with a 2 page CV, short cover letter and the date you expect to pay the fee.
- Summer accommodation in Oxford fills up fast! We have reserved a small number of university rooms for summer school students at a very reasonable rate - please contact us for more information.
- We will have a small number of accommodation bursaries for students normally resident outside of Oxford. To be considered for a bursary, please apply with a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by April 15th, 2017.
Organising team: Neave O'Clery (Chair, Mathematical Institute), Mariano Beguerisse (Mathematical Institute), Penny Mealy (Institute for New Economic Thinking), Francois Lafond (Institute for New Economic Thinking), Nils Rochowicz (Economics), Stefania Bocchi (Mathematical Institute)
Contact: For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: