University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) offers a wide variety of scholarships to potential PhD students seeking to study at UNNC. In addition to faculty full scholarships, we also offer strategic research scholarships and other scholarships attached to our prestigious research institutes. The following PhD scholarships are open to applicants for 2019 entry only.
Alumni and Family Scholarship
A 15% tuition fee reduction for maximum three years for students applying for full time PhD studies at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China and who have previously studied at undergraduate/postgraduate level in The University of Nottingham UK, China or Malaysia. *Note: This policy is only effective for 2018/19 entry.
A 10% tuition fee reduction for maximum four years. for the children, brothers, sisters, husbands or wives of students who are currently registered on award bearing courses at The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China or who have already successfully completed award-bearing courses.
Operations Management and Information Systems Scholarships
PhD programmes at the UNNC are composed of 3 years research and submission is expected within 3 years for full-time students. PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) and the University of Nottingham UK (UNUK). On successful completion, students will be awarded the University of Nottingham PhD degree, and no reference will be made on the degree certificate as to where the degree has been completed. The University of Nottingham PhD degree will be accredited by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Nottingham Higher Flyer Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students who received a First Class Honours from University of Nottingham UK, University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) and University of Nottingham Malaysia. Students who meet the entry requirement can apply for a direct entry into the PhD programme.
Strategic Research Scholarships (2019 Entry)
Applicants must have a first class honours undergraduate degree or 65% and above for a Masters’ degree from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions.
Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area. IELTS 6.5 (minimum 6.0 in all elements) or its equivalent is required for Faculty of Science and Engineering (FoSE) scholarship applicants.
PhD Scholarship in International Business Strategy (2019 Entry)
The objective of this research program is to investigate strategies by emerging market multinational enterprises when they undertake foreign direct investments. Among all the interesting issues related to the investment process, studies in this program concentrate on the ownership decision by those MNEs. Organizational economics will serve as the theoretical foundation of this research. The empirical context will mainly be China, covering the outward investments by Chinese MNEs. Quantitative analysis (e.g., regressions) will be major methodology.
Artificial Intelligence PhD Excellence Scholarship with Microsoft Research Asia Internship (2019 Entry)
School of Computer Science, UNNC shall collaborate with top scientists from Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) to jointly recruit and train PhD students on the topics of artificial intelligence, optimisation and their applications in transportation and logistics.
Available research areas:
The research shall focus on forefront technologies in artificial intelligence, optimisation, data analytics, machine learning and their applications in solving difficult transportation and logistics problems, including
- Reinforcement learning
- Evolutionary Computation/Metaheuristics/Hyper-heuristics
- Modelling and Simulation
- Operations Research
- Real-life transportation/logistics optimisation
PhD Scholarship in Healthcare Management
PhD programmes at the UNNC are composed of 3 years research and submission is expected within 3 years for full-time students. PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) and University of Nottingham UK (UNUK). On successful completion, students will be awarded University of Nottingham PhD degree, and no reference will be made on the degree certificate as to where the degree has been completed. The University of Nottingham PhD degree will be accredited by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
PhD Scholarship in Digital Technology and Healthcare
Use of Digital Technologies for Enhancing Healthcare Provision
The objective of this research program is to invetsigate how emerging digital technologies (such as AI) can be leveraged to enhance healthcare provision. The cost of healthcare provision is on the rise globally. At the same time, resources for healthcare provision are becoming increasingly in short supply. Against this backdrop, digital technologies have been touted as a key solution to several problems that plague the healthcare sector. The use of digital technologies may help make the healthcare provision process more efficient, and create innovative solutions that may address the resource constraint problems in the healthcare provision process.
The project is expected to lead to a better understanding of how emerging technologies such as AI can be employed to support and enhance healthcare provision. Specifically, this includes:
- Identification of specific digital technologies that hold promises and potentials for enhancing healthcare provision
- Identification of specific features of these technologies of which their design can lead to enhanced healthcare provision outcomes
- Obtaining understanding about the boundary conditions at which the efficacy of the identified technology features may diminish
- Development of theories that uncover the design patterns of the focal digital technologies that are associated with enhanced healthcare provision.
PhD Scholarship in Psychology of Entrepreneurs
The available PhD scholarships cover:
- Tuition fee
- Monthly stipend (RMB4,500)
- Medical insurance with designate providers
- All above items are covered for up to 36 months based on satisfactory progression
- All regulations set out in the UNNC PGR Scholarship Policy apply
- In addition to the above scholarship, successful candidates also have the opportunity to carry out paid teaching or research assistant duties at UNNC.
PhD Scholarship in Belt and Road Initiative
The Impact of Rising Labour Costs on Exporting Behaviors of Chinese Manufacturing Firms
Chinese labour is no longer cheap. Recent studies show that China’s comparative advantage is shifting from labour-intensive exports to capital- and skill-intensive ones. The goal of this study is to estimate the impact of rising labour costs on commodity composition of manufactured exports using Manufacturing Firms Survey and Customs Survey matched data which is a large-scale panel data, covering most exporting manufacturing firms above designated size in China and providing rich information on firm’s production and exporting behaviors. The study will examine the impacts of rising unit labour costs on exporting behaviors of Chinese manufacturing firms theoretically and empirically. On the theory side, it will extend Melitz (2003) and Decramer et al. (2016) to model the effects of rising unit labour costs on the intensive and extensive margin by considering the export-related fixed costs. On the empirical side, it will examine whether firms choose export or not in face of rising unit labour costs. For exporting firms, It will also explore the impacts of rising labour costs on both intensive and extensive margin of the firm exports.
- Applicants must have a first class honours undergraduate degree or 65% and above for a Masters’ degree from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions;
- Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area;Please be advised that IELTS 6.5 ( minimum 6.0 in any element) or its equivalent is required for FOSE Faculty scholarship.
How to Apply
Step 1: Application Preparation
Applicants are strongly advised to prepare a detailed research proposal. You are encouraged to work and refine your proposal with the potential UNNC supervisor, who are listed on the website of each department/school. Your research proposal will also be used in assessing your application.
Step 2: Submit an Application
All documents must be in English except the copy of Chinese national ID. If original documents are not in English, a translated English version is required in addition to the original one. An application missing any of these document (except for English language score) is incomplete and will not be considered.
Please quote the scholarship reference number in your application form if you are applying for any UNNC scholarship.
Step 3: After Application Submission
- A confirmation email will be sent to you after receiving the application
- Graduate School checks if the basic entry requirements are met and the application is complete.
- Relevant academic departments/schools assess applications and make decisions.
- Graduate School will email you about the programme application result 5-6 weeks after your full application is received. If you apply for a UNNC scholarship, the result will be released via a separate letter 5-6 weeks after scholarship deadline.
Step 4: Admission and Registration
- Faculty of Business (FoB) have different requirements, please check FoB website for details.
- Graduate School will email you about registration information before the start date.
- Registration in person is required on the start date.
- A compulsory induction programme will follow the registration.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.