International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
The International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) is funded by the Australian Government and enables international students to undertake a postgraduate research qualification in Australia and gain experience with leading Australian researchers.
The University usually awards around 35 scholarships.
The duration of the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) is up to two years for a student undertaking a master by research degree and up to three years, with two possible six month extensions, for students undertaking a doctorate by research degree.
The IPRS provides for:
- Full cost of tuition
- Overseas Student Health Cover for you and your dependants, if they join you in Australia on a student visa
In addition, successful candidates receive an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) which provides the following benefits:
- A fortnightly living allowance
- Relocation grant for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia
- Thesis allowance
- Limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave
For more details, see Australian Postgraduate Awards benefits.
IPRS are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Eligible applicants are scored and ranked according to their:
- academic achievement in their last completed degree; and
- research potential in their field of study, taking into consideration factors relevant to the proposed research including professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medical qualifications or composition of original music.
The University assesses applications for scholarships on an ongoing basis. As a general rule:
- applications submitted before 31 October (Round 1) will be finalised by 15 February of the following year, and
- applications submitted before 31 May (Round 2) will be finalised by 31 July.
However, the following faculties have more than two rounds:
For more detailed information, please refer to theGraduate Research Scholarships Terms and Conditions.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.