Credit-bearing Summer School
Learning a language enables you to communicate; it gives direct access to foreign-language sources. Learning a language opens up a world of possibilities for dialogue, understanding, personal development and careers: languages set you free.
Korean Level 1 (Beginner)
1 - 12 July 2019
This is a basic introductory language course in the written and spoken language for absolute beginners and is equivalent to the first term of Korean language study at university. Students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language or its script.
The course covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write short simple texts, and communicate on simple everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Each two-week language course is worth 15 credits in the UK system. 15 credits is normally equivalent to 4 credits in the US system and 7.5 ECTS in the European system.
If you intend to transfer credit to your home institution, please check the requirements with them before you apply. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can, however please be aware that the decision to transfer credit rests with your home institution.
Teaching & Learning
Teaching will comprise of 40 contact hours across 2 weeks.
A one-off, non-refundable application fee of £40 will be charged to cover administration costs. Please visit the SOAS online store to make your application fee payment.
10% discount if you apply by 31 March 2019
20% discount for our partner institutions
Accommodation is available to Summer School students at the SOAS halls of residence, Dinwiddy House. For more details of how to book a room please visit the Dinwiddy House accommodation page.
We have a wide range of scholarships and awards to support students on our degree programmes.
There is a competitive application process for these scholarships and awards – based on academic merit. And their focus can range from supporting students from specific countries or a group of countries, to particular degrees or areas of research.
We also offer a number of bursaries based on financial need at undergraduate level.
In order to join our Summer School, you will need to meet the following entry requirements:
- A university student or a graduate at the time of attending the summer school, and 18+ years of age.
Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification.
- A minimum English language requirement if English is not your first language:
- IELTS, 6.5 overall or higher, with at least 6 in all sub scores.
- TOEFL Paper based test we require a minimum of 583 with minimum 53 in all skills and for TOEFL Internet Based Test we require a minimum of 93 with minimum 20 in all skills.
- Pearson Test of English a score of 59-64
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Grade B
- If you have studied in an English speaking institution, or have courses taught at your university in English (excluding English language courses) you may meet our requirements without having to supply a certificate. Evidence of this will either need to be included on a transcript or letter from your university.
- Applicants with an alternative qualification should contact us for advice.
- Applicants whose English language level do not meet out requirements may be interested in our subject based courses with English language support.
Enrolment of Summer School applicants who don’t meet the entry requirements is at the discretion of SOAS – please get in touch to speak to us in detail about your application
Once you have paid the £40 application fee and submitted the online application form, you will be informed as to whether you have a place on the summer school within 5 working days. Please do not pay your tuition fee prior to having received your offer letter.
31 May 2019
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: https://www.soas.ac.uk/summerschool/subjects/korean/ but it is no more active