General Syllabus for Third-cycle Studies in Political Science
The goal of the programme is for the doctoral student to acquire and develop the knowledge and skills required to conduct independent research in political science and to contribute to the development of knowledge within the discipline through the production of a scholarly thesis. Another aim of the third-cycle programme in political science is to develop the doctoral student’s ability to apply the aforementioned knowledge and skills to post-doctoral research or other professional work. The doctoral student shall also develop communicative and pedagogical skills in both oral and written communication both in and outside an academic context. The programme comprises 240 higher education credits (HE credits), including a mandatory 5 HE credits in teaching and learning in higher education. The doctoral student shall also acquire research project planning and implementation skills. Moreover, third-cycle studies shall facilitate international contact or experience, for example in the form of participation in research conferences or possibly visits to a foreign higher education institution. The specific goals of the programme, which doctoral students must achieve in order to obtain a third cycle degree in political science, are indicated below. Note that the requirements specified in the system of qualifications concerning third cycle degrees provided in the Higher Education Ordinance also apply.
Competence and skills
Individual research work will prepare the student to be able to plan, conduct, complete and publish research and to attain internationally acceptable scholarly expertise in basic research and in applied research and analysis assignments where political science knowledge is relevant.
For the doctoral degree, the doctoral student must:
- demonstrate the ability to identify and formulate problems critically, independently, creatively, and with scientific rigour, as well as to conduct research and other advanced tasks using commensurate methods within given timeframes, and to show an ability to review and evaluate such work
- in the thesis demonstrate the ability to make a contribution to the chosen research field
- demonstrate the ability both orally and in writing to present and discuss research and research findings both nationally and internationally in the academic community and society at large
- demonstrate the ability to identify needs for further research within the field of political science
- demonstrate the ability to contribute to the development of the subject area both in political science research and education as well as in other contexts
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: