University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarships
Our University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarship supports talented PhD students to study in our Department of Mathematical Sciences.
If you have an excellent academic background and the potential for future achievement, you could be eligible. Once awarded, you'll receive the scholarship in each year of your PhD (subject to satsifactory progression). The scholarship includes:
- a fee waiver equal to the Home/EU fee (international students will need to pay the balance of their fees)
- living costs of up to £12,000 per year, comprising a stipend of £8,000 per year and a Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantship worth £4,000 in years two and three
- a training bursary of £250 per year
- Proficio funding, which can be used to 'buy' advanced skills training
You can apply for this scholarship if you have been offered a place at Essex to start a full-time PhD in 2016-17.
These terms and conditions apply to University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarships awarded to students entering our University in October 2016.
What does the award offer?
The award consists of a full Home/EU fee waiver or equivalent fee discount for overseas students (this amount was £4,050 in 2015-16), living costs of £12,000 per year (combining an annual stipend worth £8,000 and a Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantship worth £4,000 in two of the three years), plus a training bursary of £250 per year and Proficio funding, which may be used to 'buy' advanced skills training.
Who is eligible?
- This award is available to UK, EU and international full-time PhD students;
- Successful international applicants will need to fund the balance of the tuition fees;
- You must hold an offer from the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Essex for a PhD (not MPhil or Masters by Dissertation);
- Receipt of the scholarships is subject to applicants firmly accepting the offer of study, registering as students of the University of Essex for the 2016-17 academic year, and meeting all conditions of our offer;
- No alternative form of the scholarship is available and the award cannot be deferred to a later year from the one for which you are admitted;
- Applicants may only receive one award administered by the University of Essex. In the event that an applicant is already in receipt of another University award (including the Alumni Loyalty Discount), the larger of the two awards will be kept and the other released;
- Where a student applies for and is awarded a scholarship and subsequently obtains full external funding, the University will rescind the scholarship offer. Where partial external funding is obtained, the department may choose to continue, reduce or rescind the scholarship offer as it sees fit.
How do I apply?
You should complete the University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarship application form available on the website. Please note that you must be applying for a new programme of study at the University of Essex, starting in October 2016, in order to be eligible. Applications for the University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarship close on 22nd July 2016. Applications must be received by the specified closing date.
Please return your completed application form to the Graduate Administrator, Shauna McNally, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22 July 2016.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: