The Mitacs Globalink Partnership Award offers graduate students at Mitacs full and associate partner universities in Canada the opportunity to participate in a 16- to 24-week research project with an international industry partner located in any country except the United States.
The Partnership Award offers the following benefits to participating universities and students:
- Mitacs will award successful applicants $15,000CAD in funding to cover the direct costs of research. Funding will be in the form of a research grant to the home university academic supervisor;
- No deadlines. Applications are accepted at any time;
- All academic disciplines are eligible;
- Simple and quick application process with results typically announced in six weeks;
- Open to international graduate students studying in Canada, Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
- Funding is provided to support the student’s research;
- Students and faculty gain real-world and international exposure: apply the latest tools and innovations to real issues;
- International research collaborations are strengthened.
The Partnership Award provides an opportunity for faculty at Canadian universities to strengthen existing international research collaborations and connect with colleagues and industry around the world through the mobility of graduate students.
Students in Canada on a study permit cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship. Students with Canadian citizenship and Permanent Residents can undertake research in any partner country, regardless of additional citizenship status.
Student recipients of the Partnership Award will develop research skills, cultural fluency and professional network, becoming part of Canada’s generation of global innovators. The Partnership Award offers the following benefits to participating industry partners:
- Applications are peer reviewed to ensure high-quality research
- Increased innovation: participants gain novel solutions to research challenges
- Mitacs matches the $7,500CAD industry partner contribution
How it works
- Students and their home university academic supervisors submit Partnership Award applications directly to Mitacs via their Business Development representative.
- Approved projects are a minimum of 16 weeks and a maximum of 24 weeks.
- Mitacs will award successful applicants $15,000 CAD in funding to cover the direct costs of research. Funding will be in the form of a research grant to the home university academic supervisor via the Office of Research Services or equivalent.
- Students have the option to include a host university and academic supervisor in the country overseas and divide their time abroad between the host university and the international industry partner.
The Partnership Award cycle begins with the submission of a research project and is complete upon Mitacs receipt of the final report and exit surveys.
Home academic supervisors are responsible for providing Partnership Award recipients with preparation, direction and support prior to and during their research project, in conjunction with the policies of their home institution. They must also assume fiduciary responsibility for the research grant (which will be held at their university) and cover expenses related to the project.
Mitacs strives to ensure that Partnership Award recipients have a high-quality research experience with internationally-recognized industry partners who facilitate learning and provide hands-on training in the students’ field of study.
How to Apply
Applicants who have an identified research project and an industry partner in a Mitacs partner country must submit an application via their Business Development representative.
A complete application includes the following:
- Application (completed using the provided template)
- Signature page signed by all parties, including the appropriate university office (typically the Office of Research
- Services, but in some cases the International Office). If unsure, please contact Mitacs at international(at)mitacs.ca for clarification.
- Student CV (Please use the template provided)
- Indemnity Agreement (if applicable; please consult your Business Development representative)
- Signed copy of the Mitacs Student Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Signed copy of the International Pre-departure Form
- Any supplementary documents, as applicable
*The signed International Pre-departure Form and Mitacs Student Code of Conduct and Ethics can be submitted after the submission of the application; however, funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.
Applicants must submit their completed application as a PDF document to Mitacs via their Business Development representative. Please note only the signature page of the proposal should be a scanned PDF document. Mitacs recommends keeping PDF files to less than 2MB each.
Applicants should submit their applications approximately 12 weeks prior to the start of the project to ensure enough time for adjudication, filing of appropriate documentation, and travel and accommodation arrangements.
Travel to the destination prior to the approval of the award is not permitted and Mitacs is not responsible for any costs incurred before the application is approved. Travel may not be initiated until Mitacs has received all paper work including the International Pre-departure Form, Mitacs Student Code of Conduct and Ethics Form, and the application has been approved.
For more information please click on the "Further official information" below.