- £2,000 for each year of study.
- Renewable on an annual basis (subject to good academic progress). The scholarship may be held in conjunction with a University bursary.
- Applicants must have AAA at A level (or specified equivalents) and meet other criteria.
- We have also extended this scholarship to include those who achieve AAB at A level (or specified equivalents) where one of the subjects is either Mathematics or a Modern Foreign Language.
- Open to applicants from any country.
Originally, this scholarship has been awarded to all those who achieve AAA at A level (or specified equivalents). We have extended this scholarship to include those who achieve AAB at A level (or specified equivalents) where one of the subjects is either Mathematics or a Modern Foreign Language.
The scholarship will be awarded to UK, EU and Overseas applicants to the University of Kent who meet all the criteria below. Applicants must:
- be entering the first year (Stage 1) of undergraduate degree study at the University of Kent’s Canterbury or Medway campus from September 2016,
- have achieved the required grades for at least one of the qualifications specified below,
- have not attained any qualification higher than those listed below (i.e. do not already hold an undergraduate degree),
- have satisfied conditions of entry to the University of Kent.
How to apply
There is no separate application form to complete. If you have applied to the University of Kent and have attained the necessary grades, your scholarship will be confirmed by email in September 2016.
Frequently asked questions
I am a current Kent student, am I eligible to apply for the Kent Scholarship for Academic Excellence?
No - this scholarship is only for applicants to the University.
What is 'good academic progress'?
You must proceed at each stage to the subsequent year of your programme of study at the first attempt, with a minimum mark of 60% or greater (performing at 2:1 level).
I already hold an undergraduate degree, am I eligible to receive the Kent Scholarship for Academic Excellence?
No - this scholarship is not for applicants who have attained any qualification higher than those specified (i.e. applicant already holds an undergraduate degree).
Is the scholarship based on household income?
No, it is awarded purely on merit and does not affect your student loan.
Can I hold more than one scholarship at a time e.g. Study Abroad, Partner School, Music, Sport?
Yes, you can hold most other undergraduate scholarships at the same time. (but check the eligibility criteria of the scholarship in question)
How will I receive the funds?
Scholarship funds are normally paid directly into the student's bank account in three instalments, one each term.
Is there an application form to complete?
No, if you have attained the necessary grades, your scholarship will be confirmed to you by email in the September of your first academic year.
Can my 3 A levels at AAA include General Studies and Critical Thinking?
Yes, your 3 AAA levels can include General Studies and Critical Thinking for your scholarship. However, you must also have satisfied your conditions of entry to the University of Kent.
Will students receive the £2,000 during a year abroad or year in industry?
Are Medway School of Pharmacy students eligible to receive the scholarship?
No. MPharm students starting at the Medway School of Pharmacy in September 2016 will be registered with the University of Greenwich, so they are not eligible to receive this scholarship from the University of Kent.
I have more questions - who can I contact?
Please contact the Scholarships Unit by email at email@example.com
Available to all entrants to undergraduate programmes starting in September 2016 who meet the required criteria.