The change in climatic variability and conditions, the increase in world population, and the concentration of such world population in urban areas are increasing the stress imposed on water resources. By 2030 there will be 41 megacities worldwide, which will raise domestic water demand, posing big challenges to water supply. For instance, in London by 2020 a shortfall of 133 million litres per day is expected, if nothing is done on the management side with respect to the current practices.
This Symposium and Summer School aims at exploring the perspective of urban water demand management for the next years.
Several topics are going to be addressed, with a particular attention on modelling and understanding the behaviour of water consumers, the drivers of such behaviour, the role of social norms, economic leverages and water demand management strategies to promote behavioural change, and the role of Information and Communication Technologies to support the design, implementation and deliver smart solutions for urban water demand management.
21 – 25 August 2016
Monte Verità – Switzerland. Venue of choice of Congressi StefanoFranscini Conferences.
The conference is going to focus on a range of topics covering the whole spectrum of activities required to manage water consumers’ demand: monitoring consumption with innovative smart meters, profiling the user behaviour, understanding how different stimuli can nudge behavioural change, and finally how integrated ICT solutions can be adopted by water utilities.
More specifically, the following TOPICS will be central to the conference:
- Profiling water consumers, end-use disaggregation of whole house consumption
- Innovative smart metering technologies for water usage monitoring and control
- Modelling user behaviour: improved user awareness for behavioural change
- Modelling user behaviour: the impact of innovative water pricing policies
- Modelling user behaviour: the role of gamification in behavioural change in the water domain
- Open data and standards for smart water systems
- Software platforms and tools for smart water management.
ARE YOU WILLING TO REGISTER?
The conference is particularly aimed at young researchers and PhD students willing to focus their work on solving a real world problem, by bringing in innovative ideas. The conference format will therefore be organised in order to favour the interaction between experienced researchers in the area and young scientists.
15 March 2016 – PAYMENT AND REGISTRATION DEADLINE
Payment and registration must be received before 15th March 2016. Places are limited, and the first 20 participants will obtain a reduced rate.
21-25 August 2016 – CONFERENCE AND SUMMER SCHOOL
START: Monday, the 21st August 2016.
END: Thursday, the 25th August 2016.
The conference is held in Switzerland and benefits from the funding provided by European Commission and from Congressi Stefano Franscini the meeting platform of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Zurich (ETH Zurich), responsible for the promotion, selection and financing of international conferences at the venue Monte Verità since 1989.
The conference fee listed below includes lodging and full board for the duration of the Conference, from Sunday the 21st of August until Thursday the 25th (4 nights in total). The preferred accommodation for participants is double rooms in the conference hotel. A few single rooms might be available upon a motivated request.
The full conference rate, including full board for four nights, is 800 CHF.
A reduced rate of 600 CHF is available for the first 20 participants.
- Credit card: after submitting the registration form you will be directed to a secure page for online credit card payment. You will have to manually input the correct amount. Please refer to the prices listing below. NOTE: please make sure you are ready to proceed with the payment if you select the credit card option.
- Bank transfer: you will receive from us a bill with the due amount and the data of the receiving account.
Payment and registration must be received before 15th March 2016. Since the number of participants is limited, participants will be accepted on a first-arrived-first-served basis, in which date of payment is taken as reference.
Terms and conditions
- We take care of booking your accommodation for the period of the conference. Extra pre- or post-conference nights are under the responsibility of the participant and are not included in the above fees.
- Sharing a bedroom with another participant will increase the possibilities of being booked at the conference site hotel. If you have a suggestion for the room sharing, you can indicate a name in the registration form.
- Please note that the number of single rooms at the conference site hotel is limited, therefore there are high possibilities that if you request a single room, it will be booked in one of the nearby hotels we will use for extra rooms.
- Participants booked in one of the nearby hotels will have a free transport provided to and from the conference site in the morning after breakfast and in the evening after dinner. Daily schedules of this transport will be available at the external hotel and at the conference venue. Breakfast will be served at your hotel, whereas all the other meals are booked at the conference venue restaurant.
- Cancellation policy: In case of cancellation, beyond the deadline of 15th March 2016, no refunding can be guaranteed as such a cancellation causes severe penalties. Before the indicated deadline, the fee will be refunded with the exception of the engaged expenses associated to the payment.
- The congress organizers cannot accept any liability for personal injuiries sustained, or for loss or damage to property belonging to congress participants (or to their accompanying persons), either during, or as a result of, the congress. Registration or accommodation fees do not include insurance.
- ETH Zurich collects the conference participation charges as collection agent for the host SUPSI and does not provide own services.
- By registering and paying your fees, you accept all the above terms and conditions.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: