Internships at Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik
SWP offers a limited number of three-month full-time internships for highly motivated students. We are particularly interested in attracting young academics in political science and related social sciences (economics, law, administration, occasionally also regional studies, ethnology, or journalism).
Interns are based at SWP offices in Berlin-Wilmersdorf.
We accept students at the following stages:
- Students already studying for a master’s degree (also Hauptstudium in the German Magister/Staatsexamen/Diplom system).
- Holders of bachelor’s degrees who can demonstrate they are applying for a place on a master’s degree course and who expect to be regular master’s students at the time proposed for the internship.
- Holders of bachelor’s/master’s degrees who are enrolled on an additional bachelor’s or master’s degree course.
The work undertaken by our interns includes:
- Assisting with all tasks within the research division, especially research projects, and producing documentation and background reports for research division members,
- Preparing reports of conferences and meetings,
- Literature research,
- Editing academic texts, researching and evaluating materials, helping to prepare meetings and conferences,
- General administrative tasks.
For an internship you should have at least the following qualifications:
- Very good knowledge of English (written and spoken),
- Good end-user IT skills (Word, Excel, web browsers),
- Your own ideas about what you wish to achieve during the internship,
- Interest in policy consultation and communication,
- Commitment, ambition, teamwork and social skills.
The research divisions also have their own specific requirements:
EU/Europe research division
- Continuous participation in courses relevant to the research areas of the research division
- Ideally, knowledge of an additional EU working language, or language skills relevant to the region
International Security research division
- Knowledge of current security issues
For the Armament and Technology Cluster:
- As well as students of politics, the cluster is especially interested in attracting students of economics, engineering and natural science who have interest in defence policy, arms economy and technology policy.
Americas research division
- Course of study relating to the region
- In-depth knowledge of the politics and/or economy of the United States and/or the Latin American states
Eastern Europe and Eurasia research division
- Good knowledge of at least one of the languages spoken in the region (for example Russian)
- Knowledge about Russia and/or other CIS states
Middle East and Africa research division
- Active interest in current political events in the region or a specific sub-region
- Knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is advantageous for the Middle East, French for Africa
Asia research division
- Evidence of an active academic interest in one or more countries of the region
- Knowledge of a relevant language is desirable, for example Chinese, Japanese or Hindi
Global Issues research division
- As well as students of politics, the research division is especially interested in attracting students of economics, international law and/or international relations
- Interest in interdisciplinary discourse and prior knowledge in one of the following fields:
- International energy, environmental and climate politics
- Non-state actors
- Migration and demographics
- International financial markets
- Trade politics
- International law, United Nations
Documents required to apply for an internship
Please send your application for an internship to Human Resources at SWP. We can only accept complete applications with the application form and all required documents. The application form requires the following information:
- Mandatory: Required component of a course of study or training at a state-recognised institution.
- Voluntary: Up to three months for persons in vocational training or university education. You are not eligible if you have already done an internship of this type at a German federal government agency.Type of internship:
- Preferred three-month period. You may also indicate several periods, but please note the relevant application deadlines.
- Research division – please name only one.
- Preferred topic and/or researcher
Your application must also include the following documents:
- Motivational letter (maximum one page),
- For a mandatory internship: confirmation that the internship is a formal requirement, including required duration (copy of relevant passage from degree regulations or letter from university),
- Bachelor’s degree certificate (or evidence of completion of Grundstudium for Magister/Diplom/Staatsexamen students),
- Interim and leaving certificates,
- References, work references (if available) (copies),
- Valid confirmation of student status (copy) or university confirmation of application for a place on a master’s degree course (original, must include expected enrolment date),
- Residence permit (non-EU/EEA applicants, copy),
- If a public or private body has awarded funding for your internship, please supply documentation (including amount).
Interns at SWP receive €300 per month. Exceptions are only possible where the internship is already funded by another public or private organisation.
Our deadlines for applications
- 30 June 2017 (for an internship starting no earlier than September 2017)
30 September 2017 (for an internship starting no earlier than December 2017)
Please e-mail your application form and all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: