Applications are now open for four Research Fellowships at Gonville & Caius. Candidates should be graduate students who will be in either their final year of doctoral research, or within one year of the first submission of their PhD.
Research Fellowships are awarded to men or women of exceptionally strong academic record who have produced innovative doctoral research in any branch of Science or Arts.
The Fellowships will be tenable for four years from a date to be agreed between 1 July and 1 October 2017. Research Fellows are expected to spend the tenure of their Fellowship in Cambridge, and to contribute to the life of the College. Permission may be granted for periods of research away from Cambridge.
The current stipend of a Research Fellow resident in free College accommodation who has no other emoluments except College teaching is £20,404 p.a., rising by three annual increments to £22,890 p.a. If not resident, the stipend is £23,126 p.a., rising to £25,613 p.a. In addition, Fellows are entitled to up to ten free meals per week. Reimbursement of certain research expenses totalling up to £1,000 p.a. will also be available.
Candidates must submit with their application written work for assessors of at least 30,000 words in length, sometimes including a complete PhD of about 80,000 words, and/or published work, the main body of all of which must be in English, apart from quotations.
Applications must be completed by Friday 30 September 2016. The election will be held on Friday 13 January 2017 and candidates should ensure that they will be available for interview that day if so required.
- The current stipend of a Research Fellow resident in College who has no other emoluments except College teaching is £20,202 p.a., rising by three annual increments to £22,663 p.a. Assistance with housing is given to non-resident Research Fellows. Reimbursement of certain research expenses totalling up to £1,000 p.a. will also be available.
- The stipend of Research Fellows who are in receipt of financial support from other sources will be by arrangement according to individual circumstances. Research Fellows may join the University's Superannuation Scheme.
- A Research Fellow will receive the normal privileges of a Fellow, including the provision of rooms and some meals. Reimbursement of certain research expenses will also be available.
- The application process begins on Wednesday 31st August 2016.
- Applications and two reports from independent referees, both of whom should be familiar with the candidate's research work, must be submitted through the web site, and received by the College by 5.00pm on Friday 30th September 2016. One of these referees should normally be the supervisor. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Interviews for short listed candidates will be held in the College on 13 January 2017.
- Fellowships will be tenable for four years from 1 October 2017.
For more information click "Further official information" below.