Value of award
The scholarship includes the UK/EU rate of tuition fee and £14,296 living expenses per year (2016-17 Research Council UK rate).
Number of awards
Start date and duration
January 2017 for three years, subject to satisfactory progress.
Application closing date
30 September 2016.
Interested in connections between memory, heritage and identity in Europe? This project examines how and why particular historical moments are mythologised for symbolic effect in official and non-official heritage practice and in political discourse.
You will explore this over a variety of cultural forms, including social media, connecting uses of the past to contemporary discourses of European and anti-European identities.
The PhD project will benefit from and complement a major EU-funded award led by the primary supervisor – Critical Heritages: performing and representing identities in Europe (CoHERE).
You will develop a mixed-methods, interdisciplinary approach, employing critical discourse analysis, museum display analysis, digital methods and approaches from visual culture, memory studies, cultural studies, media studies, sociology and politics.
Further information about this project can be found on our Media, Culture, Heritage website.
The scholarship is funded through Newcastle University’s Research Excellence Academy.
Name of supervisor(s)
Professor Christopher Whitehead, Dr Darren Kelsey and Dr Areti Galani, School of Arts and Cultures
How to apply
You must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application form, which can be found in the "Further official information" belowthis article. All relevant fields should be completed, but fields marked with a red asterisk must be completed:
- Insert the programme code 8834F in the programme of study section
- Select ‘PhD Media, Culture and Heritage’ and the ‘Research Area’ Museum, Gallery and HeritageStudies.
- Insert the studentship code MCH17 in the studentship/partnership reference field
- Attach a covering letter, CV and a 750 word outline about
i) how you would develop the project and
ii) what research methods and critical approaches you would hope to use to achieve this, giving an indication of areas where you would require support/training.
- The covering letter must state the title of the scholarship, quote reference code MCH17 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
- Attach degree transcripts* and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualification.
*You will not be able to submit your application until you have submitted your degree transcript/s.
For more information click "Further official information" below.