The PFP trains highly talented early-career scientists for leadership positions in health and environment research.
About the program
In 2014, Helmholtz Zentrum München launched an international fellowship program for postdocs. The program supports highly talented postdocs in the development of a competitive scientific profile for a successful scientific career in academic research or industry.
Talented postdocs who are accepted into the 3-year postdoctoral fellowship program can focus on a research project in an institute of the Center. An experienced research mentor and a personal coach will create an individual career plan together with the fellows and prepare them for their next career step in scientific leadership positions. Depending on the fellow’s personal career goal, the focus will be on careers in academic research or industry.
Professional assistance in acquiring external funding
In addition to joint training modules for acquiring leadership qualifications, the fellows will receive intensive support for external grant acquisition.
Support for the fellows in building up international networks
The fellows will be integrated into the institutes in international and interdisciplinary research groups. Personal travel grants will enable them to meet up regularly with international colleagues to exchange ideas and to build up international networks. In a step-by-step process, the fellows will develop their own profile and visibility in the respective field of research.
To be eligible for the program, applicants
- must have received a doctoral degree in biological sciences, chemistry, bioinformatics, physics, mathematics, veterinary or human medicine or related life sciences within the last 3 years*
- must be fluent in written and spoken English and
- must not have been recruited to the Center for more than 6 months.
*Parental leave of up to two years can be acknowledged. Graduate students may only apply if their doctoral thesis has already been handed in and if they will receive their doctoral degree by the start of work at the Center.
Applications may only be submitted via the online application platform. All entries on the application form must be in English. Documents shall be uploaded. We will accept certificates in English and German.
The following documents must be uploaded as pdf files (max. size of all uploads is 4 MB):
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) including your personal details, current position, education, interest, experience, skills: not longer than 2 pages
- List of publications and presentations
- Certificates: doctoral degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, diploma etc.
- Certificate of proficiency in English (recommended for non-native speakers)
The following documents must be entered in the description fields:
- Research project proposal for up to 3 research subjects, list of project-related publications and motivation for each research subject: altogether up to 9000 characters including spaces
- Letter of motivation regarding your interest in doing a postdoc at Helmholtz Zentrum München and your participation in the Postdoctoral Fellowship Program as well as your interest in pursueing a scientific career: up to 4000 characters including spaces.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.