Call open 1 Oct - 15 Nov - we are looking forward to your application!
Call for applications open from 1 October - 15 November 2015. Please read the information below carefully and then submit your data in our online application database - https://ias.desy.de/pls/apex/f?p=449:1. In our database you can either submit an application for an open position or submit a general application for a PhD position in the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School.
The graduate school welcomes applications from highly motivated students two times a year in spring and autumn. We are looking forward to receiving applications of talented doctoral candidates, who are holding a Master degree or who are nearing graduation in the PIER research fields - https://graduateschool.pier-hamburg.de/sites/sites_custom/site_pier-helmholtz-graduateschool/content/e209212. Interdisciplinary PhD projects are welcome. PhD positions are paid with at least 1.600 Euro after tax (50% of TVL 13). No tution fees. Language of instruction is English.
We are especially pleased to receive applications from female scientists: with a high-profile mentoring progamme we offer the best career opportunities for women.
We see diversity as an asset, applications from disabled persons are welcomed. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification will be given particular consideration.
See below how to apply step by step. Succesfull applicants will become members of our graduate school with full access to all our services.
How do I benefit from being a member - https://graduateschool.pier-hamburg.de/apply_amp_register/register_as_a_member/index_eng.html?
Excellent reasons to study with us
1. Academic training provided by international experts
2. Access to unique technologies such as the world’s brightest storage ring PETRA III, the free-electron laser FLASH and FLASH II, and the superlative X-ray laser source XFEL
3. PhD within three years with regular feedback from your scientific advisory team
4. Contract as a research assistant at Universität Hamburg or DESY (salary approx. 1.800€ pre-tax per month) including health care and social insurance coverage
5. Financial support for research trips, conferences and childcare
6. Interdisciplinary research and work in a cosmopolitan environment
7. Acquisition of key competences for your future career in science, business or industry
8. Comprehensive student support service including leisure activities and language courses
9. Hamburg is one of Europe’s most livable cities with a rich academic, cultural and artistic life
What you need if you want to study with us
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, medicine or related fields. Applications from students who are nearing graduation are also welcome.
- Master’s degree or diploma certificate with transcript of records
- Motivation letter including a description of your own research interests and experience, if possible with respect to your planned PhD project (max. two pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Two references
Our recommendation: Get in touch with the research teams - https://graduateschool.pier-hamburg.de/research/index_eng.html you’re interested in and discuss your projects with your potential supervisor before you submit your application. In Germany, supervisors usually are happy to receive and answer targeted job applications from master students.
Step 1: Find out about the PIER research and competence fields
Become familiar with the local research teams in your research field and name your favorites in our application form. On our website - https://graduateschool.pier-hamburg.de/sites/sites_custom/site_pier-helmholtz-graduateschool/content/e209212 you can find an overview of research teams in Hamburg.
Step 2: Find out about the qualification concept of the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School
The PIER Helmholtz Graduate School training programme - https://graduateschool.pier-hamburg.de/sites/sites_custom/site_pier-helmholtz-graduateschool/content/e209692/e209675 provides information on the professional and extracurricular standards for the qualification of the doctoral candidates.
Step 3: Find out about possible means of financing your doctorate
Information - https://graduateschool.pier-hamburg.de/sites/sites_custom/site_pier-helmholtz-graduateschool/content/e209245/e209720 on financing PhD theses and overviews of fellowships.
Step 4: Submit your application
Please upload the complete documentation with your personal information in our online application database. The complete documentation must be uploaded in a single process. It is not possible to log back in to the application screen and submit further documents or data at a later time.
Please ask your assessors if you may enter their names in the application form before you submit your application. Your assessors and yourself will receive an automatic e-mail confirmation of receipt once the assessment(s) has/have been received. You will receive an automatic e-mail confirmation of receipt after submitting your application to the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School.
We wish you much success!
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: