Yenching Global Symposium 2019 Application
Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories
The application for the Yenching Global Symposium 2019 is divided into the following sections:
1. Personal Information
2. Education and Employment
3. Conference Information
4. Language Requirement and CV
5. Short Essay Questions
The short essay section requires each applicant to provide a written response of no more than 200 words to each of the following questions:
1. In your own words, describe the Yenching Global Symposium (YGS). What do you expect to learn at the YGS?
2. The theme this year is “Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories”. We are interested in your personal ‘China Story’, and how it fits into the broader narrative on China. That is, why do you wish to learn about China and attend a China-related conference. What are the issues that you are most interested in discussing?
In short, what is your ‘China Story’?
3. What is your understanding of the theme “Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories” ?
4. How is the theme relevant to your experience and/or expectations, as well as your country or community? Discuss with relevant examples.
5. How do you expect to use your experience at the YGS in the future? How will attending the YGS help you achieve your goals?
6. Optional: Is there any other information you would like to share about yourself? (Please do not repeat your CV)
Please read the FAQs on the Yenching Global Symposium 2019 website carefully before completing this application. The FAQs will be updated throughout the application process.
We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, ethnic origin, religion, age, color, gender, sexual orientation, educational backgrounds, ability or disability. Applications close at 23:59 (China Standard Time), December 8, 2018. Successful applicants will be notified by early January 2019.
Tips for Application:
1. Please save your responses on a word document for your reference. Drafts will not be saved. Please submit the full application when all responses are filled.
2. Your responses should be maximum of 200 words. Responses that are less than 100 words will not be competitive.
3. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in your best interest to submit your application as soon as possible.
4. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted.
5. If English is not your first language or if you have not graduated from an English-taught program, please provide IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or CEFR scores. Applicants who do not have IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or CEFR scores should provide a description of other English proficiency experience.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field;
- Strong interest in learning about China and engaging in nuanced, interdisciplinary discussions which address critical societal issues relating to China;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency;
- Hold a valid passport (does not expire within 6 months of visa application date- January/February 2019);
- Have never attended any of the previous Yenching Global Symposiums or Yenching Social Innovation Forums;
- Bonus: Involvement in China-related activities- academic, voluntary, professional, extra-curricular activities.