Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
The $5,000 increase per year applies to all fellows holding a Postdoctoral Fellowship as of the 2014 competition.
NSERC will provide up to 10 supplements valued at $10,000 per year for two years to successful applicants to its postdoctoral fellowships competition who have specified a location of tenure for the award in the People’s Republic of China. Refer to the Canada-China Postdoctoral Fellowships Supplement for more details.
Where can you hold your fellowship?
You can hold your PDF at:
- Canadian universities;
- provincial research institutions in Canada;
- other appropriate research laboratories in Canada; and
- universities and research institutions abroad.
You cannot hold a PDF in Canadian government laboratories or in industrial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to undertake research that involves collaboration with other Canadian organizations. The nature of the proposed collaboration must be acceptable to the host institution.
- You may hold a PDF abroad only if you have received your doctorate from a Canadian university.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining exposure to different research environments. You are not permitted to hold your fellowship at the same university (or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories) where you received your doctorate. However, you may request an exception that will be considered by the selection committee. The request must be based on family reasons (e.g., a spouse's career) or scientific reasons (e.g., availability of specialized equipment), which make it extremely difficult for you to leave a particular university. Even if your exception is granted, you may not be supervised by your PhD supervisor. Given that NSERC may not approve your request for an exception, you are encouraged to include an alternate location for your PDF.
- You may not hold the PDF with your PhD supervisor, even if your supervisor changes research institutions.
How do you apply?
You can apply for a PDF by completing and submitting Form 201, and attaching supporting documents if necessary. Read the instructions on how to complete Form 201.
NSERC must receive your application electronically before 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 15. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
With the exception of personal contact information, NSERC will not accept any changes or updates to your application after it has been submitted. Personal contact information may be updated by sending an email to email@example.com.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.