Muslim Friendly Tourism: Understanding the Demand and Supply Sides
24 July - 11 August, 2017, AUA, Yerevan, Armenia
With the rising numbers of the global Muslim population, businesses around the world have started to pay attention to the needs of that growing and lucrative market segment. The travel sector is no exception to that trend, giving growth to a variety of Muslim Friendly Tourism products and services.
This course provides a short introduction to the term Islamic Tourism and “value” for its offering, as well as developing and managing the possible ways to meet the needs and expectations of Muslim consumers. The main aim of the course is to achieve a better understanding on what makes up value for different customer groups that come from various cultural backgrounds. The case in point is therefore “how can we define perceived value for Islamic tourism consumption?” and how is it different from other types of tourism consumption?”
The course will analyze such phenomena as: lack of proper identification of halal food outlets; islamophobia driven negative sentiments towards Muslim; limited availability of attractions including theme parks and etc. The goal of this course is to provide basic knowledge on Islamic history, belief and ritual life that will help to understand Islamic culture, as well as meet the expectations and needs of Muslim tourists.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.