Master of International Affairs | Key Facts
Prepare for an International Career
- Join a two-year, full-time master’s programme (M.A degree) in Berlin with all classes taught in English
- Build a strong interdisciplinary foundation and combine theory and practice to understand international affairs. Gain an analytical toolkit to manage global challenges in security and sustainability or finance and trade
- Prepare for an international career in governmental and non-governmental organisations, in diplomacy, political affairs consultancies, multinational corporations and more
Join a Global Community in the Heart of Berlin
- Join a diverse student body that brings together different cultural, academic and professional backgrounds
- Profit from a global study abroad network of dual degree and exchange partners
- Receive support along the way from the application process to graduation and job entry
- Maintain lifelong connections with an international community of alumni and professionals
Prepare to Apply
- Apply with more than just grades - we strongly consider your motivation and personal background and accept applicants with undergraduate degrees from all academic disciplines
- Tuition for the entire two-year MIA programme is €29,500 (€7,375 per semester)
- Different scholarship programmes are available to qualified students
If you have a strong motivation to study at the Hertie School, financial constraints should not stand in your way. The Hertie School offers a range of scholarships (tuition waivers) for highly qualified applicants.
Here’s what you need to know before applying:
- We accept applications and offer scholarships until 1 May.
- To apply for a scholarship you must complete the financial information section of our online-application form and confirm your financial need.
- Scholarships are allocated on the basis of merit and financial need.
- About 50% of our students receive scholarships in the form of awards ranging from 7,375 EUR to 29,500 EUR (25% to 100% of tuition fees).
- Scholarships are granted for the entire period of study (two years).
- Scholarships are allocated on a rolling basis and you will be informed shortly after the admission offer.
- On top of our our regular scholarship scheme we additionally offer a number of special full scholarships, such as the Future of Europe and New Perspectives scholarships. To apply for these scholarships, please see the special requirements on the left and make sure to mention your interest in these special scholarships on the online application form.
All applicants are ranked on the basis of the following criteria:
- Personal Suitability CV, professional experience, entrepreneurship, international experience, civic engagement. Weight: 40%
- Academic Excellence Strength of academic background, academic performance - grades/transcripts, general academic qualification, linguistic qualification. Weight: 40%
- Motivation Convincing motivation to study public policy or international affairs, motivation to study at the Hertie School, overall coherence. Weight: 20%
The ranking of applicants by the Admissions Committee is the basis for the allocation of scholarships for students with financial need. Financial need is determined on the basis of whether an applicant is able to finance tuition and living costs from the financial resources at their disposal.