John Fitzsimons Memorial Scholarships
Applications are invited from suitable mature candidates for the award of a John Fitzsimons scholarship. Click here for the fullApplication form and criteria and criteria (see also below). Link to the attached MS Word document. Deadline for awards for 2015-16 is: before noon (BST) Friday 29th May 2015
About John Fitzsimons
John Fitzsimons was one of Strathclyde University Law School’s first and most inspirational Lecturers. He taught Criminal Law and Jurisprudence for twenty years before becoming a highly-respected judge (Sheriff). To achieve this, he and his family made considerable sacrifices – not least when he became a mature student at the age of 25.
John Fitzsimons believed that talented individuals should have proper access to education on the basis of academic, rather than financial, merit. Through his teaching, encouragement, and his own actions, he inspired generations of Strathclyde students to achieve their potential. He was well aware of the particular barriers which mature students can face. Applicants are encouraged to read about the life of John Fitzsimons at: www.strath.ac.uk/clcj/jf
Eligibility for a John Fitzsimons Memorial Scholarship Fund Award
- Mature students in the Law School at Strathclyde University, or, prospective mature students applying to study in the Law School at Strathclyde University.
- Current or prospective students at Strathclyde University Law School must be of 25 years or older by the time of the deadline for submitting an application to the John Fitzsimons Memorial Fund.
- UK and non-UK residents are eligible to apply.
- Awards will be made to assist with the costs associated with study on an instructional (i.e. taught) programme taught in the Law School at either under-graduate or post-graduate level (eg LLM, MSc, LLB etc). For a full list of under-graduate and post- courses provided by the Law School see www.strath.ac.uk/law
- Current or prospective research students (e.g. PhD or MPhil) will not be eligible to apply. Current or prospective students pursuing a joint course with the Law School and another School/Department will not be eligible to apply. (Current or prospective post-graduate research students are encouraged to apply to the wide range of funding opportunities offered for study in the Law School. See http://www.strath.ac.uk/search/scholarships/ )
- Current registered Strathclyde University UK/Home students who are experiencing financial difficulty during the course of their studies at Strathclyde should apply to a number of different resources depending on their circumstances, namely: The Discretionary Fund,The Childcare Fund and The Emergency Aid Fund.
Please apply to these funds if you fit those criteria. Nonetheless, such students are eligible also to apply to the John Fitzsimons Memorial Fund.
- The Selection Committee shall have regard to:
- i)academic merit
- ii)financial need in the context of personal circumstances
iii) evidence of strong interest in the areas of John Fitzsimons’ work namely: Criminal Law and / or Jurisprudence, and/or cognate areas
- iv)the availability of other awards to assist with living costs and/or tuition fees
- Successful applicants to the John Fitzsimons Memorial Fund are expected to take up the offer of a place in the next academic session commencing in September of the same calendar year.