My Armenia is a collaborative initiative of the people of Armenia, USAID, and the Smithsonian Institution, harnesses the power of research, documentation, and storytelling to sustain Armenian cultural heritage. Building on Smithsonian expertise in research and curation, the My Armenia program engages with local partners in community-based research to document Armenian cultural heritage and support tourism in the country that sustainably promote the cultural and natural heritage of the country. Working with sustainable tourism experts Solimar International, the My Armenia program will increase and share knowledge about Armenian cultural heritage while identifying opportunities to enhance and increase community-based tourism to rural Armenia.
Solimar International is a sustainable tourism development and marketing firm dedicated to helping destinations enhance and connect their unique travel experiences to travelers. Over the years Solimar has supported over 200 destinations, assisted more than 2,500 tourism businesses, trained more than 5,000 tourism professionals and inspired more than 25 million travelers to learn about and explore our planet. In partnership with the Smithsonian Institute, we are starting a 4-year Cultural Heritage Tourism Activity in Armenia to enhance tourism products and circuits in the country and connect travelers to the unique travel experiences offered in Armenia.
The Smithsonian Institution is the largest museum and research complex in the world, the Smithsonian offers unparalleled breadth and depth across disciplines and functions – from astronomy to natural sciences, from ancient archaeology to modern art, from the study of ancient traditions to the exploration of contemporary crowd-sourced content, covering 20 museums, 9 research centers, and the National Zoo in Washington DC U.S.A.
The Smithsonian Institute will lead the project with funding from USAID and other supporters. Solimar International will be working with the Smithsonian Institute to implement the project together.
The overall objectives of the project include:
1. Improve the tourism product offering of Armenia
2. Improve Service delivery along strategic tourism corridors and circuits in Armenia
3. Improve cultural tourism sector workforce skills
4. Coordinate among donors and supporters
As a part of this project, Solimar is recruiting a Tourism Marketing and Communications Specialist within Armenia. This individual will work with the Solimar and Smithsonian team in Armenia and Internationally to manage and implement the marketing and communications component of the project. The Tourism Marketing and Communications Specialist will work closely with communications Specialist, who will focus on content creation to help promote and tell the story of Armenia’s natural and cultural heritage.
Position Type: Full time
The Tourism Marketing and Communications Specialist will have the following responsibilities:
General Programmatic Tasks
- Coordinate, build and maintain relationships with key project stakeholders including tourism businesses, Government of Armenia offices, media, communities, community-based groups and other cultural tourism stakeholders and help keep all tourism and cultural heritage stakeholders informed about activities within the sector.
- Establish and maintain a database of cultural tourism stakeholders and help support collaborative activities identified by the sector partners
- Support the project team in planning and implementing tourism product development, training and promotional activities in relation to how these can be promoted
- Work with the monitoring and evaluation specialist to track metrics and measure success
- Assists with general office functions
- Additional duties as needed
Minimum Job Requirements
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in tourism or a related field, such as marketing, communications, or business
- Excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal skills in English and Armenian
- At least 5 years previous work experience in the tourism, marketing and/or communications sectors or related fields
- Ability to work effectively with community leaders, government, media, the tourism private sector and other partner organizations within Armenia and internationally
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and relationships with attention to detail
- Strong organizational and computer skills
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to work independently and as part of a team as well as with remote managers (i.e. not in Armenia)
- Understanding of, and interest in, Armenia’s nature and culture
- Proficient in English and Armenian
Based in Yerevan Armenia with periodic travel throughout Armenia
Interested candidates should apply using "APPLY ONLINE" button below. In your application's "Introduction letter" please cpecify why you want to be hired in that position.