Full- or Part-time: Full-time
Application Deadline: Review will begin on 10 August 2015 and continue until position is filled
The School of Public Policy (SPP) at Central European University (CEU) launched its two year Master of Public Administration (MPA) in 2013. Strongly focused on applied and practitioner skills alongside formal academic learning, the capstone of the MPA is the Passion Project. This client-led, student-run, policy-oriented project is structured over 15 months of the MPA and serves as the bridge between the classroom, experiential learning and the real world environment.
The School is now seeking to appoint a Professor of Practice (at Senior level or Junior equivalent: Practitioner in Residence) to serve as the Passion Project Program Director, with responsibility for developing and overseeing the Passion Project program and delivering student training in the methods, skills and tools of project management. The candidate that we will welcome into our diverse and international School will ideally have experience as a practitioner, with a commitment to mentoring young professionals and forging genuine collaboration between academia and the policy world.
• Enhancing the conceptual design and operational procedures of the Passion Project, including harmonization of the Passion Project with other core pillars of SPP’s 2 year MPA curriculum and orienting SPP faculty advisors to effectively advise, mentor and support Passion Project teams;
• Develop and deliver the mandatory 12-week, 2-credit ‘anchor course’ on Project Management for Passion Projects, and other relevant project management skills and knowledge training to students to be determined by the seniority and fields of expertise of the successful candidate;
• Identifying and working with prospective client organizations to formalize collaboration agreements, and define an appropriate project topic and scope of work of mutual value to student teams and the client organization;
• Monitoring and evaluating Passion Project team activities and performance;
• Oversight of program budget execution and fundraising;
• Participation as program head in relevant Professional, Faculty, School and
• Overseeing the planning and implementation of internal and external program events and Passion Project communications to external audiences;
• A strong record of professional experience, preferably in a program management role in a civil society, NGO or donor setting;
• Post-graduate degree
• Excellent command of written and spoken English;
• A high level of comfort in a start-up environment;
• Strong organizational, analytical and network building skills;
• A high level of initiative and creativity;
• Interpersonal and mentoring skills in a multi-cultural environment;
• A strong working knowledge of various current public policy issues, key debates, actors, and approaches;
• Commitment to bridging academia and policy practitioners in genuine and mutually beneficial collaboration.
• A strong working knowledge of applied research methodologies;
• Familiarity with the academic environment, in particular higher education;
• Previous experience of delivering teaching / training
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, as well as a dynamic, supportive, and international academic environment.
About the School of Public Policy
In the words of its founder, George Soros, SPP is a “new kind of global institution dealing with global problems.” In its degree and non-degree programs, SPP aims to create an educational experience that involves not only the acquisition of skills and knowledge but also the cultivation of a mindset that emphasizes entrepreneurship, innovation, cultural awareness, and a commitment to the public good. Building on Central European University’s rich tradition of promoting diversity and open societies, SPP cultivates a rigorous interdisciplinary environment and strives to become a dynamic laboratory of ideas.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: