Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology (MSP)
The Programme was launched in 1413H (1992), named ‘The IDB Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology' (MSP).
Objective and Scope
The objective of the programme is to develop technically qualified human resources in the IDB member countries by providing scholarships to promising and outstanding scholars and researchers to undertake advanced studies and research in the fields of applied science and technology needed for the development of the member countries.
The Programme is designed to help promising research students to pursue a full-time three-year Ph.D study in scientific disciplines that enhance development in IDB member countries, with priority to Health/Medicine, Agriculture/Food Production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy/Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology and ICT for Development.
The Programme is also designed to help researchers to undertake a six-twelve month specific innovative post-doctoral research project to address a problem-solving matter in member countries such as Malaria, Corona, Ebola, Food production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy, etc.
The concept is to assist the needs of the IDB member countries and their institutions in developing high quality and hi-tech human resources in science and technology areas that they are lacking but crucial for their development.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over (a) 35 years for Ph.D. study, and (b) 40 years for Post-Doctoral research;
- Attached to a research/academic/development institution in science and technology in their respective country;
- Must possess the required academic background in the related field of their proposed study/research and have some professional/research experience in the respective field;
- Demonstrate that the research proposal has scientific and technological relevance with the objective of meeting the priority development needs of the country;
- Have good command of the language of the institution of study and the ability to conduct scientific work in it.
Fields of Study
For PhD programme, fields of studies under the programme are determined by the priority needs of the country’s development in science and technology sectors and to supplement the IDB vision 1440H. Current focus is thus on the following fields of studies:
Health/medicine, Agriculture/Food production, Water Resources/ Desertification, Energy/Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology, Development-focused ICT, and pure Science subjects.
Applications for post-doctoral research are invited to undertake a specific innovative project to address a problem-solving matter in member countries such as Malaria, Corona, Ebola, Food production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy. This is to focus on most crucial development areas of IDB member countries in addition to what it was highlighted in the IDB Vision 1440H.
Place of Study
The successful candidate for the PhD programme must secure admission at one of the universities listed in the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES). Please visit the THES website: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings. Priority shall be given to those Ph.D. applicants who have secured admission at universities that have concluded a cooperation agreement with the IDB such as University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham, University College London and Imperial College London in the UK, Princeton University in USA and KAUST in Saudi Arabia.
The successful candidates for Post-doctoral research are invited to undertake their research project at Research Centres of Excellence which have the facilities and equipment to undertake cutting-edge research projects, both in IDB member countries as well as in advanced countries.
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- All academic expenses
- Living allowances
- Health Insurance
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study
- Conference Participation allowance
- Scientific Paper preparation allowance
The Programme is announced every year through the IDB Governors' Offices in the countries concerned.
How to apply
Download the application form for 3-Year Ph.D. Study or application form for Post-Doctoral Research. The applications must be submitted through the nominating institutions to the Office of the IDB Governor for the country. It is the Office of the IDB Governor that will forward the applications to the IDB and not the individual applicants or the nominating institutions. As for Egypt, applications should be forwarded through the Higher Universities Council, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, instead of Office of the IDB Governor. Applications sent directly to the IDB will not be considered.
All the applications submitted to the IDB Governor's Office are to go through the following process:
- Screening by the IDB Governor's Office to forward to IDB the most eligible applications;
- In-house review at the IDB;
- Scientific and technical evaluation of eligible applications by a panel of external reviewers composed of scientists and experts in their fields.
- Final selection by the IDB.
Obligations of the Partners
Candidates awarded the scholarship must:
- Sign the Surety Bond stating their commitments to studies, to return to their countries upon completion and resume work in their home institutions;
- Devote themselves to their studies on a full-time continuous basis and provide the IDB with periodic reports on their academic
- Not seek or accept other scholarship or remunerated work during their studies, unless agreed to in writing by the IDB;
- Respect the laws of the country of study while maintaining good personal and professional conducts consistent with the objectives, rules & regulations of the programme and the overall mission of the IDB as an Islamic institution.
- To register with the Science Development Network (SDN) for continuous scientific/professional activities under the patronage of IDB.
- Nominating Institutions
As a partner in the joint effort with the IDB, the institutions nominating candidates are expected to:
- Nominate suitable candidates, assist them in all aspects of the documentation preparation and in securing the necessary endorsement from the Office of the IDB Governor for the country.
- Assist the selected scholars in preparation of their departure for study and place them on study-leave maintaining their pay-roll status.
- Help resettle them and support them in their research and equipment needs, on their return to the institution.
- Offices of the IDB Governors
As the channel of announcement and initial processing of the applications, the Offices of the IDB Governors are expected to:
- Announce the Programme as widely as possible among the scientific and research communities in the country;
- Disseminate information and application forms to all relevant scientific and research institutions and interested scholars in the country;
- Screen and pre-process applications to ensure eligibility and completion of documentation against requirements;
- Pre-select and submit to the IDB only those who are most qualified and in the proposed fields of study that are most needed for the development of the country.
Community Development Support
To help scholars prepare themselves for their future leading role in the socio-economic and technological development of their societies and countries, the IDB also provides them with extra-curricular activities under a special programme called Community Development Programme (CDP) comprising the following two components:
- Post Study Activities (PSA): Since the graduates are the keys to the delivery of IDB objectives of socio-economic and technological development of their societies and countries, IDB supports them with a range of activities including formation of IDB Graduates’ Associations and monitoring their contribution to their society, institution and country. The Scholars are facilitated to enlist their names as consultants/experts for various capacity building and knowledge transfer programmes in IDB member countries under the IDB Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP).
- Capacity Building Activities (CBA): The graduates are eligible to participate in regional Community Development Workshops that are held in different countries as part of the Capacity Building Activities for partners of the IDB Special Assistance and Scholarship Programmes.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: