Thousands of study and academic opportunities in Energy are available internationally. Conferences and summer schools in Energy are organized regularly in the best academic centers of the world. The majority of universities and many foundations also offer BA, MA, and Ph.D. programs in Energy as wells as postdoctoral research grants, awards, and fellowships. Below you will find the updated list of international opportunities available in Energy.
Energy Studies Scholarships
- The Education for Sustainable Energy Development Scholarship
- Zema Energy Studies Scholarship
- Hertie School Sustainability and Energy Policy Scholarship
- UNSW Sydney School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering Scholarships
- Iceland School of Energy Scholarships
- Renewable Energy Scholarship Foundation
- University of Salford Energy Industries International Scholarship
- ScottishPower Scholarships
- UCL Energy Institute Scholarships
- LUT University Energy Conversion Tuition Fee and Scholarships
Energy Studies Fellowships
- The Oxford Institute for Energy Studies Doctoral and Masters Research Fellowships
- Society of Energy Fellows at MIT
- University of Waterloo Energy Council of Canada Energy Policy Research Fellowship
- Sustainability and Energy Research Initiative Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Chevening Energy Market Reform Fellowship
- Texas A&M Energy Institute Graduate Fellowships
- The University of Texas at Austin Energy Institute Fellows
- Schatz Energy Research Center Graduate Fellowships
- Clean Energy Leadership Institute Fellowships
- International Atomic Energy Agency Fellowships
Energy Studies Conferences
- International Conference on Renewable Energy and Environment
- World Sustainable Energy Days
- NTNU Energy Transition Conference
- Asia Future Energy Exhibition and Summit
- European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference
- Distributed Energy Conference
- International Conference of Young Scientists on Energy and Natural Sciences Issues
- Behavior Energy and Climate Change Conference
- Annual Global Conference on Energy Efficiency
- International Conference on Green Chemistry and Sustainable Engineering
Energy Studies relevant accounts on Twitter
Energy studies emerged in recent years in response to the need to regulate human energy consumption. Energy is consumed at high levels, granting us opportunities to create comfortable living, transportation, and other life aspects. However, it is also one of the main causes of poisonous emissions into the environment.
In this regard, Energy studies developed as a multidisciplinary study to develop alternative, more environmentally friendly methods of energy generation and usage. Energy studies explore current and past energy usage policies. By analyzing and documenting all the success and failure points, specialists open the opportunities for alternative, renewable energy sources.
Despite many sustainability discussions both in scientific and practical spheres, about 80% of the world's primary energy is still provided by fossil fuels, which are the major source of harmful emissions. Therefore, one of the most urgent challenges that Energy studies face is to organize an accelerated transition to sustainable energy sources. This will also result in more affordable electricity, transportation and heating systems. Issues related to global climate change are also firmly tied to Energy studies, as current energy usage methods are responsible for most of the air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
So, Energy studies work toward integrating renewable energy into the current energy supply methods and advancing expertise in sustainability systems. Energy studies graduates are the frontiers of the emerging green economy. In more detail, the discipline has the following main objectives:
- train students of the technologies to generate, utilize, and conserve the energy
- integrate renewable energy into life
- develop new ideas of alternative energy sources
- develop policies to meet the energy needs of local and international levels
- reduce the carbon emissions in the environment
Energy Studies Academic Programs
Separate courses related to Energy issues were included in many universities' academic programs, usually under the physics or biology departments. With time, connected with the topics mentioned above, many universities also introduced separate Energy programs.
For example, Yale Climate & Energy Institute firstly started with the five-year trial period of its Energy Studies Undergraduate Scholars program in 2013. Currently, you can study in the full-scale Yale Energy studies program under the university's Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences.
The Energy Studies Major generally prepares students to produce more energy for more people while cutting the carbon emissions. The academic programs study energy topics related to science, technology, economics, and social science. Through many subjects, you will learn the policy and regulation of energy markets. Energy studies cover knowledge areas of oil, gas, and electricity markets as well as their role in global and national economics and politics. So, in many universities, you will be offered to study narrow topics of the field.
For example, at Oxford University, there are the following Energy studies programs:
- Oil & the Middle East Program focuses on the contemporary oil markets and their production and consumption processes. The program focuses not only on the Middle East but also on North America and Russia.
- Gas Research Programme studies gaseous fuels and their impact on the energy economy. The program focuses not only on natural gas but also on different synthetic gas forms, including biomethane, hydrogen, etc.
- Electricity Research Programme examines the role of public policy and regulations in supporting the energy transition to end-users.
- China Energy Programme studies the role of different Chinese energy policies and how those policies impact the global energy market in the end.
Careers in Energy studies are extensive, considering that the whole world unanimously heads to the world with sustainable energy consumption solutions. With the right portfolio of skills, and the potential to lead the organizations toward alternative energy usage, you will be in demand in many fields. Energy studies graduates usually work in government departments, carbon accounting, and environmental consultancies, research organizations, universities, etc.
Below you can find the main spheres where the energy studies career can come in handy.
Commercial Energy-Efficiency Industry
In this field, specialists consult and help businesses construct commercial and institutional buildings with efficient energy usage mechanisms. The smart planning of energy infrastructure contributes to a healthier environment and reduces operating costs for the building owners. This can be done even by introducing new methods for maintaining and operating the existing equipment. Many current technologies allow having automated systems that adjust lighting, airflow, heating, and similar energy-spending systems to human behavior.
Residential Energy Efficiency Industry
The searches for better energy usage schemes are characteristical not only for businesses but also for ordinary people who spend energy in their homes. Many people look for alternative energy sources, and currently, there are entire cities or countries fully covered by solar energy panels. So, the same specialists needed in the industrial sector might also work for the residential sector and help people modify their homes to better sustainable versions.
Electric Power Transmission & Distribution Industry
This sphere mainly relates to the issue that electricity is not available in all the areas where people live. So, the electricity should be not only produced but also transmitted to different locations. Energy specialists in this sphere might find ways to organize electricity in different areas or produce the electricity if the transferring is not possible.
The world is moving to a better planet, where the perseverance of the existing resources and their possibly the best utilization is the priority. You can head to U.N. Sustainable Development Goals for more information. Use the opportunities in this section of ARMACAD to become one of the frontiers of a sustainable future.