Call for Papers
The 9-th International Conference for Young Researchers on International Humanitarian Law
10-12 November, 2016
Russian-Armenian University (RAU), Yerevan, Armenia
The Russian-Armenian University in cooperation with the Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Armenia (ICRC) announce the 9th International Conference for Young Researchers on International Humanitarian Law, which will be held from 10 November to 12 November 2016 in Yerevan, Republic of Armenia.
The Conference is a unique international platform for discussion of contemporary issues and perspectives related to IHL development among young scholars. Since 2007, the geography of the Conference has grown: during these years RAU has hosted participants from Argentina, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Czech Republic, Georgia, Estonia, Hungary, Ireland, India, Iran, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Russia, Switzerland, Sweden, Tajikistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, USA, Armenia and the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.
Over the years the Conference has grown into a traditional scientific event for RAU in particular and for the legal community of Armenia in general. Every year the participants of the Conference, as well as the invited national and international experts are offered a platform to share their views on different issues related to IHL development. The Conference undoubtedly makes an effective contribution to the process of reaffirmation and development of IHL. Over the years the organizers of the Conference have hosted a number of renowned international experts in the field of International Humanitarian Law, International Criminal Law and Constitutional Law, thus providing a unique opportunity to the participants not only to be heard by the established professionals and experts, but also to engage with them in an open discussion over their opinions and views. On top of it all, the Conference is providing an exciting opportunity to the alumni to become a part of an already established international network of legal professionals from all over the world. Finally, the Conference provides an excellent cultural experience of visiting the beautiful and hospitable Armenia and gives a chance to meet old and new friends from all over the world.
You may find more information about the Conference at the following site: http://ihlyerevan.rau.am/
The account of the last year’s Conference is also available on the Facebook page of the Conference: https://www.facebook.com/IHLConference
Young researchers in the field of IHL under the age of 35 are invited to apply for participating in the Conference. This year the Organizing Committee will also consider applications for the maximum of three positions of moderators for the one of below mentioned sections.
To apply, please, submit an abstract not exceeding 300 words strictly within the scope of the announced conference topics presented below.
- IHL AND TERRORISM
- Legal frameworks governing IHL and terrorism
- IHL, the so-called “war against terrorism” and the geographic scope of armed conflicts
- Issues of treatment in detention and legal framework on detention of alleged or convicted terrorists?
- IHL and “foreign fighters”
- HUMANITARIAN ACCESS
- Humanitarian actors’ ability to reach populations in need
- Affected populations’ access to assistance and services
- The legal framework of humanitarian access in armed conflict
- Negotiating humanitarian access
- Humanitarian access and technologies
- HUMANITARIAN IMPACT OF NEW WEAPONS TECHNOLOGIES
- How does technological development challenge IHL
- New technologies and the conduct of hostilities
- Humanitarian impact of new weapons technologies
- Law and policy questions raised by the development and use of remote-controlled and autonomous weapons
- Law and policy questions raised with regard to the use of directed energy weapons
- Law and policy questions raised with regard to cyber-operations
- The implications for the application IHL to cyber operations
- The scope of legal reviews of new weapons, means and methods of warfare
- Procedural and technical aspects of legal reviews of new weapons, means and methods of warfare
- MEMORY IN WAR
- Cultural and historical aspects
- Legal aspects
- Reconciliation aspects
- Judiciary aspects
- Peace processes aspects
- NON-STATE ACTORS AND INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LAW
- Binding Armed Opposition Groups through Humanitarian Treaty Law and Customary Law
- The Rights and Responsibilities of Armed Non-State Actors
- Accountability of Non-State Actors in International Law
- Ways to bind Non-State Actors to IHL
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND IHL
- Taking care to protect the environment against damage: a meaningless obligation?
- International Law protecting the environment during armed conflict: gaps and opportunities
- Due Regard for the Natural Environment in Military Operations
- Environmental protection in armed conflicts and non-state actors.
- Climate Change and the Law of Armed Conflicts
- THINKING OUT OF THE BOX: IHL AFTER CONFLICT
The APPLICATION PACKAGE should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and be comprised of:
- The Paper Abstract stating among others author’s original thesis, objectives and conclusions (maximum 1000 words, if selected, the participant will have to present the full version of the paper (up to 4500 words prior to the Conference),
- Duly Completed Application Form (according to Annex 1),
- Professional CV, also stating IHL related research (if any) and academic interests.
English language proficiency certificate (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.). In case of absence of such certificate the Organizing Committee reserves the right to conduct an interview with the applicant via Skype to check his/her English language proficiency.
Applicants applying for the position of moderator should also submit a short motivation letter (maximum 500 words) describing their previous experience in the sphere of IHL and reasons for their willingness to participate as a moderator for one of the sections listed below.
The deadline for submitting the application package is October 07, 2016. The selected applicants will be informed by October 12, 2016 and receive an official invitation letter, including the program details and the venue.
The Organizing Committee will provide visa support for the participants of the Conference, as well as accommodation, meals, local transportation and materials during the Conference days. Please note that round-trip travel expenses are to be covered by the participants of the Conference.
Shall you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Conference Secretariat via E-mail: email@example.com.
Secretary of the Organizing Committee
Tel.: (+37495) 919209