Mandel Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities and Jewish Studies for 2018–2021
The Mandel Fellowships are intended for scholars, from Israel and abroad, who have shown exceptional excellence, depth, and originality, and whose research may enrich academic and cultural discourse. Applications will be accepted from candidates who completed their doctoral degrees no earlier than October 1, 2013. Candidates who have not yet completed their degrees may apply if they have submitted their dissertations by September 25, 2017. If awarded the fellowship, their acceptance will be conditional upon approval of their doctoral degrees by April 1, 2018.
Mandel Scholars engage in research in optimal conditions and teach one annual course (2 hours per week). Teaching in English is possible. Mandel Scholars receive approximately 150,000 NIS per year in addition to a research budget. The fellowship is for three years, beginning October 1, 2018. There is an option for a two- or one-year tenure. Scholars are selected on a competitive basis with no preference for a specific field of study in the humanities or Jewish studies.
Applications are to be submitted via the Humanities section of Hebrew University’s Scholarship System according to the instructions provided there.
Please note! the applications system will close on Monday, 25 September 2017, at 23:59 (Israeli time)
Applicants must submit:
- Online application form
- Curriculum vitae – up to two pages
- List of publications
- Statement of purpose – Please describe, in up to two pages, your academic research goals and intentions for the next couple of years. In your statement, please explain, inter alia, the relationship of your project to your doctoral work and whether it is feasible to pursue it in Jerusalem.
- Academic writing – Please upload an academic publication or writing sample, up to thirty pages long.
- Dissertation abstract – up to two pages
- Two letters of recommendation – Please ask two scholars who know you and your work to send letters of recommendation according to the guidelines and instructions given on the online system.
Early in December 2017, shortlisted candidates from Israel and abroad will be invited to come to Jerusalem to be interviewed by the Center’s Academic Committee on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.