|Funding for:||Self-funded Students|
|Funding amount:||Not specified|
|Placed on:||1st June 2015|
|Closes:||15th July 2015|
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien invites Prospective Doctoral Students to apply to the GIGA Doctoral Programme and join from October 2015 onwards one of GIGA’s regional institutes (Africa, Asia, Latin America and Middle East) and one of GIGA’s four research programmes:
- RP 1: Legitimacy and Efficiency of Political Systems,
- RP 2: Violence and Security,
- RP 3: Socio-economic Development in the Context of Globalisation,
- RP 4: Power, Norms and Governance in International Relations.
Successful candidates will benefit from individual supervision of their research project and will be fully integrated into a structured doctoral programme at one of Europe’s leading research institutes for area and comparative area studies. Within an interdisciplinary and international research atmosphere, they will actively participate in GIGA’s research programmes and teams and have free access to the institute’s infrastructure (office space with internet access, archives and libraries). Additionally, the successful candidates will have the opportunity to attend regular method courses, as well as soft skills seminars (all ECTS creditable). This particular call is addressed to outstanding students who are either already funded by an external institution or applied for external funding.
- An excellent grade point average and a final degree (masters or equivalent) in political science/international relations, economics, history or a related discipline.
- A high-quality project proposal that fits with GIGA’s research programmes. Priority will be given to those projects with a cross-regional or a comparative area studies focus.
- Strong command of the English language (German is not a prerequisite).
The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented. Additionally, we strongly welcome international applications.
Please send your complete application by July 15, 2015 (Ref.-No. GIGA-15-02), with the relevant supporting documentation (GIGA DP application form incl. name and contact details of two reference persons, letter of motivation, CV, simple copies of degrees and academic transcripts (BA, Diploma, MA), proof of English language skills, MA thesis or two pieces of scholarly work, a research proposal of 2000 words max., and proof of funding) to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany. Email: email@example.com
(E-Mail applications are particularly welcome. Please check the size of your email. If it exceeds a maximum of 10 MB split your electronic application)
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: