We are looking for highly motivated PhD candidates to enrich a unique consortium of researchers that aims to unravel the neurocognitive mechanisms of language at multiple levels. The goal is to understand both the universality and the variability of the human language faculty from genes to behavior.
Currently, our consortium advertises five PhD positions. These positions provide the opportunity for conducting world-class research as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Each PhD position has its own requirements and profile.
Click here for more information on the PhD positions - http://www.languageininteraction.nl/ThirdCallPositions.html
The Netherlands has an outstanding track record in the language sciences. The research consortium ‘Language in Interaction’, sponsored by a large grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific research (NWO), brings together many of the excellent research groups in the Netherlands with a research program on the foundations of language.
The team consists of researchers from eight different research institutions in the Netherlands with complementary expertise in a highly interdisciplinary area of research. These are: Radboud University (RU), University of Amsterdam (UvA), University of Maastricht (UM), Leiden University (LU), Utrecht University (UU), Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), Tilburg University (TiU), and the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics (MPI).
In addition to excellence in the domain of language and related relevant fields of cognition, our consortium provides state-of-the-art research facilities and a research team with ample experience in the complex research methods that will be invoked to address the scientific questions at the highest level of methodological sophistication. These include methods from genetics, neuroimaging, computational modeling, and patient-related research. This consortium realizes both quality and critical mass for studying human language at a scale not easily found anywhere else.
Successful candidates will be appointed at one of the home institutions of the consortium, depending on the Ph.D. position applied for. The research is conducted in an international setting at all participating institutions. English is the lingua franca.
What we expect from you
Each PhD position has its own requirements and profile.
More information on: www.languageininteraction.nl/ThirdCallPositions.html
General requirements for the PhD positions are:
- a Master’s degree in the fields indicated for the positions;
- strong motivation;
- excellent proficiency in written and spoken English.
What we have to offer
- employment: 1,0 fte;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- the starting salary is €2,125 per month and will increase to €2,717 per month in the fourth year;
- you will be appointed at one of the home institutions of the consortium, depending on the PhD position applied for;
- you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years;
- you will be classified as PhD student (promovendus) or equivalent as described in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO).
- The Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of Dutch Universities or Dutch University Medical Centres will be applicable.
- Dutch Universities and the institutes involved have a number of regulations that make it possible for employees to create a good work-life balance
All institutes involved are equal opportunity employers, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities.
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: the Language in Interaction Consortium - http://www.languageininteraction.nl/
Further information on: the different positions - http://www.languageininteraction.nl/ThirdCallPositions.html
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Additional information can be obtained from the contacts for the different positions.
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of Prof. dr. P. Hagoort) using the button 'Apply'. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachments:
- a motivation letter quoting at the top the vacancy number and the number(s) of the PhD position(s) you apply for,
- curriculum vitae,
- a list of publications,
- the names of two persons who can provide references.
Please apply before 04 October 2015, 23:59 CET. Applying for more than one position is allowed.
For more information on your application: +31 24 3611173.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: