‘DLR – DAAD Research Fellowships’ is a new programme implemented by the ‘Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt’ (DLR) and the ‘German Academic Exchange Service’ (DAAD).
DLR is Germany´s national research center for aeronautics and space. Its extensive research and development work in Aeronautics, Space, Transportation and Energy is integrated into national and international cooperative ventures. As Germany´s space agency, DLR has been given responsibility for the forward planning and the implementation of the German space programme by the German federal government as well as for the international representation of German interests. Approximately 7,400 people are employed in DLR´s 33 institutes and facilities at 16 locations in Germany.
This special programme is intended for highly-qualified foreign doctoral and postdoctoral students as well as senior scientists from the fields of Aeronautics, Space, Transportation, and Energy. DLR-DAAD Fellowships offer outstanding scientists and researchers the opportunity to conduct special research at the institutes of the DLR in Germany. Please note that within the DLR DAAD programme, you can apply only for a DLR institute, not for a university or another institution.
DLR-DAAD Fellowships are defined and awarded on an individual basis. Each Fellowship announcement will indicate the specific qualification requirements and terms of the visit. The current offers are published under ‘DLR-DAAD Fellowships - Current Offers’ on the homepages of the DAAD and the DLR.
At the time of their application, applicants for a DLR-DAAD Fellowship must
- be able to prove their outstanding study or research achievements,
- Type A: have completed their studies or research with a university degree,
- Type B: have completed their studies with a doctorate/PhD/Candidate (Russia),
- Type C: applicants must be working in higher education or at a research institute; positions are open to outstandingly-qualified academics and scientists who should generally hold a doctorate/ Ph.D.,
- have an excellent knowledge of English, please provide evidence of this through the submission of appropriate language certificates (e.g. TOEFL: 550/217); a knowledge of German is advantageous,
- have completed their last degree in the last six years (Type A) or have completed their doctorate in the last two years (Type B) or assessed individually according to prerequisites (Type C),
- not be of German nationality.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD online portal. You are also requested to send the “Application summary” (pdf file), which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application procedure has been completed, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Furthermore, your referees should send the hardcopies of the letters of recommendation to the application address by post.
By applying for a fellowship within the DLR-DAAD Research Fellowships Programme you give your consent to the DAAD to forward your documents and your personal details to DLR and its relevant institutions. The DAAD and the DLR will not pass on your details to third parties.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.