CSC-Leiden University joint scholarship programme
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) provides scholarships for Chinese citizens who want to follow a full or visiting PhD programme at Leiden University.
Graduated master students and young (academic) professionals with the Chinese nationality, who want to take a full PhD or visit Leiden University for PhD research purposes.
All programmes can be applied for, as long as the research institute/faculty/graduate school you are applying to is willing to waive the fees for registration, tuition and research.
Please be aware that priority will be given to the following research areas:
- Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Humanities, including: Linguistics, Art History & Literary Studies, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies,
Philosophy and World Religions
- Science, including: Mathematics, Computer Science, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Drug Research,
Biology and Environmental Sciences
Scholarship duration and start date
For a full PhD research period at Leiden University: 48 months
For a visiting PhD research period at Leiden University: 6-24 months
You are free to choose the start date of your PhD period in agreement with your supervisor, as long as the start date lies between 1 June 2018 and 31 March 2019.
The CSC-LU joint scholarship includes the following:
- Exemption from registration fee and tuition/bench fee
- A living allowance of € 1.200 per month (including health insurance)
- International travel (to/from The Netherlands)
Who will pay what?
The living allowances will be paid by the China Scholarship Council.
The Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange will book the tickets before departure.
The Chinese Embassy in the Netherlands will book the return ticket.
To be eligible for a CSC-Leiden University joint scholarship, you need to adhere to the following criteria:
You are a citizen of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application.
You hold a master’s degree.
You are under the age of 35.
The academic entry requirements of the relevant graduate school must be fulfilled, including a high level of English language proficiency and a completed master's degree.
- You must hold an acceptance letter (standard format) from Leiden University.
- You should satisfy the CSC selection criteria by completing the CSC Application Form and the CSC Employer Reference Form.
- CSC awardees must return to China upon completion of their PhD research.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: