5th Student Research Conference – June 11, 2016
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Master’s Program in Teaching English as a Foreign Language and the Center for Research in Applied Linguistics at the American University of Armenia (AUA) are pleased to announce the 5th Annual Student Research Conference which will take place on Friday, June 11, 2016 at AUA.
We would like to invite Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral students, as well as recent graduates from TEFL, TESOL, TESL, Foreign Languages, Applied Linguistics, and Linguistics fields to submit proposals to present at the conference.
- You must be enrolled as a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD student or have graduated no earlier than 2015 from a program in linguistics or applied linguistics.
- Both individual and group projects are welcome.
- Proposals should correspond to one of the following types of papers on linguistics or applied linguistics:
- Original empirical research based on your own data
- Secondary research (analysis of existing literature with implications)
- Curriculum or material development projects
(Both completed and ongoing projects are welcome)
- Proposals must be submitted by April 30, 2016.
- Write in clear, concise, and accurate language:
The purpose of the abstract and summary is to inform the Review Committee and conference attendees of the main objectives of your presentation. The Review Committee will give preference to proposals that:
- propose realistic session goals
- are clear and concise, and
- are proof-read for typographical errors and formatting.
- Include the required information:
- Presenter(s)’ Bio (maximum 40 words): Your bio should include your name, affiliation, current year of study or graduation year, and a one-sentence description of your academic background: main field of study and, if applicable, topics of interest.
- Presenter(s)’ Contacts: e-mail, phone numbers.
- Title (maximum 7 words): Many conference attendees choose the talks they wish to attend based on the title alone. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a short title that states the main idea of your presentation and is clear for the conference goers, for example, Arts and Crafts: Fostering Creative Learning.
- Abstract (maximum 100 words): Your abstract will appear in the Conference Program and it is on the basis of this abstract that conference participants will choose which session to attend. Your abstract should come in the same document with the summary and cannot contain any information identifying the author(s) or affiliations.
- Summary (maximum 250 words): All proposers are required to submit a summary. Proposers should outline exactly what the session is going to accomplish and how it will be structured. The summary will be read by the Review Committee as a basis for selection. The summaries will not appear in the Conference Program.
The Review Committee reserves the right to refuse the submission of any abstract or summary that does not meet the above requirements.
The selection is carried out based on the blind review process. The reviewers receive only the titles, abstracts and summaries. The names and bios of the presenters are not available to reviewers. The Review Committee also reserves the right to request that your title and/or abstract be modified.
The Student Research Conference is free of charge for all presenters and participants. Conference participants should plan to cover lunch, travel and accommodation expenses.
Conference participants should familiarize themselves with visa requirements well in advance of the conference. The conference organizers encourage you to apply for your visa as early as possible. Complete information on how to apply for a VISA to enter Armenia can be found on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
Conference organizers will assist participants coming from outside of Armenia in locating optimal accommodation and other logistical requests.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES:
- Each room is equipped with a laptop, projector. Additional equipment must be requested beforehand.
- Please bring your own photocopies. A photocopier is not available at the venue.
- Proposal submission deadline: Sunday, April 30, 2016.
- Selected presenters will be notified by Sunday, May 7, 2016.
- The conference program will be posted on our website by Sunday, May 14, 2016.
- If accepted, presenters are kindly asked to register for the conference using the Online Registration Form at: http://tefl.aua.am/src2016/
- Submitting a proposal does not mean you have registered for the event. Not registering online for the event could result in a presenter not receiving a badge, room and equipment.
For questions, please contact the conference organizers:
- Lusine Galstyan firstname.lastname@example.org , 091161613
- Amalia Meliksetyan email@example.com, 055099493