Carrying Out a Successful Research Project: Methods, Tools and Techniques, November 8-December 8, 2016, 19:00-21:00
This course is designed for those who want to become professional researchers. It aims to equip the participants with all the necessary methods and skills they will need for writing a competent dissertation, research paper, academic article and other research projects.
The course will be divided in two parts. The first part will focus on a variety of qualitative research techniques to gather and analyse data. The participants will understand how to conduct in-depth interviews and observations, how to run focus-groups and how to analyse text and talk with qualitative methods.
The participants will then be introduced to key quantitative methods with emphasis on the objective measurements and statistical analysis of data collected through polls, questionnaires, and surveys. They will learn how to conduct a survey and collect and analyse data with the latest SPSS software.
The target auditorium consists of current and prospective (under)graduate and PhD students, people who wish to pursue their careers in academia, and people who want to improve their research skills at local, international, governmental and non-governmental organisations.
Schedule: 2 times a week, 2 hours per session
Total Duration: 6 weeks, 20 hours
Start Date: November 8
End Date: December 8
Fee: 62,000 AMD for the entire course
Language of instruction: English
About the instructors:
Marta Sandoyan is a senior lecturer in Research Methods at the Institute of Economics and Business at the Russian-Armenian University, where she is also pursuing her PhD in International Economy. She learned to operate with qualitative research methods while doing a Master's degree in Human Rights at the UCL School of Public Policy. Until recently she worked at the National Centre for Legislative Regulation at the staff of the Government of Armenia where she was responsible for drafting reforms in higher education. She was an expert and a researcher at the number of international organizations in Armenia. Marta’s fields of expertise include higher education and Bologna process, human rights, informal institutions and corruption.
Edgar Karapetyan has over eight years of experience in financial and private sectors development and more than ten years of experience in research and consultancy. He provides consultancy to the World Bank in his expertise areas and works in a private sector as a Strategy and Business Development Director. His prior work experience includes positions of the Team Leader at Financial Sector Deepening Project, and Head of the Commercial Department at Armavia Air Company. He is also an Associate Professor at the Russian-Armenian University, holds a PhD in international finance and is an author of more than 20 scientific articles.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.