Beginner's Turkish, 5 April - 29 May, 2017, AUA, Yerevan, Armenia
The course is designed for students who have no previous knowledge of Turkish language. The purpose of this course is to familiarize students with the general knowledge of the language and to introduce some basic tenses, grammatical rules, syntactic structure, practical vocabulary and some expressions related to simple daily life. The course will equally focus on enhancing speaking, reading and writing skills throughout 7 weeks. The course has an interactive approach and at the end of the course students are expected to be able to join in basic conversation and talk about their daily activities in present, past and future tenses.şEach week of the course has a special theme. Themed lessons will give students the opportunity to obtain a general understanding of Turkish culture, modern literature, the art of Turkish political cartoons, Turkish media, folk, etc.
Schedule: 3 times a week, 2 hours per session, Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Duration: 7 weeks, 44 hours
Start Date: March 13
End Date: May 1
Fee: AMD 60,000
Language of instruction: Armenian
About the trainer: Astghik Igityan is a Turkish language tutor, translator and conflict reporting journalist. She has been a lecturer of Turkish language of Yerevan Brusov State University of Languages and Social Sciences for several years. She earned her first degree in Turkology from Yerevan State University and holds a Master’s degree from the same university, in Turkish Language and Literature. Astghik has also an experience in translation of literary works, as well as simultaneous interpreting.
As a conflict reporting journalist with the knowledge of Turkish, she is specialized in writing about the subjects concerning Armenia-Turkey normalisation process, the Armenians of Turkey and the Armenian Genocide.
Astghik Igityan has completed a 5 month fellowship program at CNNTurk in Istanbul, where she was following and making reports (in Turkish) about social, cultural and political developments of the Armenian community in Turkey. She was also following domestic developments and news in Turkey and reporting from the field.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.