About the Fellowship
The Development Fellows program reflects The Asia Foundation’s six-decade tradition of investing in the region’s most promising future leaders. Each year, the program brings together an accomplished group of emerging changemakers (under 40 years of age)—NGO and civil society leaders, government officials and policymakers, social entrepreneurs, journalists, environmentalists, and academics—who are deeply committed to building an inclusive Asia. The year-long career advancement program is an opportunity to cultivate leadership skills and gain in-depth knowledge of Asia’s critical development challenges, while allowing professionals to remain in their current occupations during the Fellowship year. Over the course of the program activities in Asia and the U.S., the Fellows form life-long professional and personal bonds in a nurturing atmosphere of learning and connections. With an emphasis on a diversity of views and contexts, the program leverages the Foundation’s extensive 18-country network and deep expertise working with innovative leaders and communities across the region.
“Our Development Fellows are entrepreneurial, creative, and willing to take risks. These are individuals with the unique combination of leadership skills, depth of substantive knowledge, and technical expertise that empowers them to solve problems in their respective societies and across Asia,” said Asia Foundation President David D. Arnold.
The 2017 program will commence in April in Korea with a four-day Leadership Development Workshop presented in partnership with the Korea Development Institute, and will continue in Vietnam where the Fellows will engage with various development practitioners to understand the mechanics of change on the ground. In September, the Fellows will visit San Francisco, New York City, and Washington, D.C. for a two-week leadership dialogue and exchange. A flexible professional development award of US $5,000 will also be provided to each Fellow to use throughout the Fellowship year.
The call for applications will close on November 21, 2016, with selection results to be announced in mid-January.
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote regional cooperation.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of high achievement, and must show evidence of outstanding potential for professional advancement, and significant impact in their chosen field;
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise – governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Have outstanding personal character and integrity;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1 of the fellowship year (year following application deadline);
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan; Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and, Vietnam.
For further information on eligibility, be sure to read our Frequently Asked Questions. You may also direct your inquiries to the Asia Foundation Development Fellows staff at email@example.com.
The selection for the Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is highly competitive. Initial screening and evaluation will be handled by staff at The Asia Foundation who will review each application thoroughly and narrow down applicants to a pool of finalists. Later, final selections will be conducted by a committee of distinguished experts who bring high levels of familiarity and expertise with Asia’s needs and development conditions to their determinations, and will be tasked with carefully weighing issues including equity, opportunity, community and professional, and leadership potential in their deliberations. Fellows will be chosen without regard to sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, marital status, or financial need. The identities of nominees will remain confidential throughout the final selection process.
STEP 1) CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY
Please carefully read the Eligibility and Selection criteria above, including our frequently asked questions.
STEP 2) PREPARE FOR THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Review and follow the Application Guidelines and Instructions containing detailed information on how to complete each component of the application.
Online Application form
- Personal information
- Written submission
- Supplementary materials: CV and transcript
- Short video submission
- Letters of recommendation (handled online)
STEP 3) START YOUR APPLICATION
For more information click "further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: