All Knight-Hennessy scholars apply and are selected for admission. Gaining admission is the beginning of a new journey to greater leadership as a Knight-Hennessy scholar; it is also the culmination of the effort you dedicate to your application.
Applying to Knight-Hennessy Scholars (KHS) is not simply checking off a list of requirements. There is no formula for admission, and there are no scores, achievements, or stories that automatically qualify you for admission. Instead, the KHS application is an invitation to show how you demonstrate the qualities we seek in ways that are unique and distinct to you.
We believe applying can be a rewarding exercise in reflection about your experiences and your aspirations. We designed the Knight-Hennessy Scholars application with two goals: to help you better know yourself — what you have done, who you are now, and what you aspire to do in the future — and also to help us know you better.
We also acknowledge that applying can take thought and effort. We want to aid you in your planning and preparation, and we have organized our resources to help you through each stage of the application journey. We hope you find inspiration as you learn about our community, clarity as you explore our admission process, and reflection as you complete your application.
Finally, we appreciate those of you visiting this site not to prepare your own application, but to support those who will, or generally to learn more about our process.
There is neither a typical nor a prototypical Knight-Hennessy scholar. Each cohort is diverse by design; no two candidates are equally strong across all criteria, and you may demonstrate different strengths in different ways. As we evaluate and select Knight-Hennessy scholars, we look for evidence of three criteria:
1. Independence of Thought
We seek visionary thinkers who are curious, open-minded, analytical, eager for cross-cultural perspective, and genuinely excited to boldly and creatively address our world’s important challenges.
- Demonstrates intellectual ability and clear thinking
- Communicates clearly based on reflection and introspection
- Seeks out new knowledge, perspectives, and experiences
- Makes sense of ambiguous circumstances
- Generates ideas to solve problems
2. Purposeful Leadership
We seek courageous leaders who are ethical, decisive, resilient, driven to achieve meaningful results, and motivated to inspire others to effect positive change at scale.
- Achieves impactful results
- Confronts challenges with courage, persistence, and resilience
- Seeks to improve self and others
- Includes and inspires others to effect change
- Makes decisions in accordance with values
3. Civic Mindset
We seek collaborative community members who are humble, empathetic, trustworthy, oriented to act in service of others, and deeply passionate about contributing to the greater good.
- Demonstrates humility, kindness, integrity, and accountability
- Makes a habit of serving and helping others
- Thoughtful and considerate of others’ perspectives
- Embraces difference and celebrates diverse opinions and experiences
- Strives to make our world a better place.
KHS Application Requirements
What are we looking for in the five required KHS application components: the online application form, the resume, the transcripts and test scores, the recommendation letters, and the short answers and essay?
- Online Application
- Transcripts & Test Scores
- Recommendation Letters
- Short Answers & Essay
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.