The UCLA Center for Near Eastern Studies and the Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies at San Francisco State University are pleased to open a call for paper submissions to their conference, “The Iranian Diaspora in Global Perspective.” The conference will be held on February 16–17, 2023 at the University of California, Los Angeles and aims to support the growing field of Iranian Diaspora Studies by sharing new research and scholarship.
The conference will bring together senior scholars, mid-career scholars, and emerging researchers in any discipline who are contributing to and developing this emerging and transnational field. Panels and speakers are encouraged to showcase work on the Iranian diaspora in a global context, including but not limited to:
- Histories of Iranian migration and diaspora formation
- Sociological and cultural dimensions of Iranian diaspora communities
- Comparative studies, whether comparing across Iranian diaspora communities or between Iranian and other immigrant groups in differing locations
- Research on Iranian communities in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Oceania; especially South-South relations
- Studies that cast light on the heterogeneity of Iranian diaspora communities and their migration experiences
- The conference is also interested in creative expressions such as documentary film, fiction films, photography, and/or animations related to themes and experiences of the Iranian diaspora.
This conference will build and sustain a stronger academic community, draw attention to increasingly transnational elements of the Iranian diaspora, and highlight the importance of cross-disciplinary research and collaboration. Additionally, we will draw from selected 2023 conference presentations to invite papers for an edited volume that will be made available in open access format through an academic publisher such as University of California Press.
While we aim to hold the conference in person to benefit from the incomparable experience of in-person exchanges, we are taking COVID-19 into consideration as we plan possible modalities for the conference. Conference presentations will be in English. Travel and lodging will be covered by the conference.
Please email your 300-word abstract and presentation title along with a four-sentence bio and contact information to: Rohan Advani (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “Iranian Diaspora Conference 2023” in the subject heading.
Kevan Harris, Department of Sociology, UCLA
Persis Karim, Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies, San Francisco State University
Amy Malek, Department of International Studies, College of Charleston
For further information, please click the "LINK TO ORIGINAL" button below.