The University of Bonn is an internationally operating research institution with a broad spectrum of subjects. With 200 years of history, around 38,000 students, more than 6,000 employees and an excellent reputation at home and abroad: the University of Bonn is one of the most important universities in Germany. In the last excellence initiative, the University of Bonn was able to secure six Clusters of Excellence, more than any other German institution, for research topics including mathematics, immunology, dependency research, robotics, economics, and quantum physics.In this excellent scientific environment, the Interdisciplinary Research Unit Mathematics and Life Sciences (https://www.mathematics-and-life-sciences.uni-bonn.de/en) develops and applies novel mathematical approaches and software tools for data analysis and modeling. The spectrum of applications spans oncology, immunology, and epidemiology. We are intensively collaborating with world-leading experts for mathematics, immunology, neurology and radiology at the Hausdorff Center for Mathematics, ImmunoSensation2, the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE), and the University Clinics Bonn. Currently, we are searching for multiple PhD students and PostDocs in the groups of Alexander Effland (AE), Jan Hasenauer (JH) and Kevin Thurley (KT) to complement our interdisciplinary team.
10 Early Stage Researchers (PhD students or PostDocs) at the interface of Mathematics and Life Science
The open positions are:
See for details: https://www.mathematics-and-life-sciences.uni-bonn.de/en/jobsJob description:
- PostDoc (3x) in Computational Biology, focusing on the role of chronic inflammation in diseases. (JH and KT)
- PostDoc and PhD student in Computational Epidemiology, focusing on machine learning, federated data analysis, and modelling of COVID-19 progression. (JH)
- PhD student in Multi-Cellular Systems Biology, focusing on the mathematical modelling and statistical inference for multi-cellular processes. (JH)
- PhD student at the interface of Computational Epidemiology and Finances, integrating epidemiological and micro-economic models for (optimal) policy making. (JH)
- PhD student in Biomedical Imaging, focusing on mathematical foundations of machine learning for image processing/analysis and applications thereof in immunology/radiology. (AE)
- PhD student in Systems Biology of Inflammation, focusing on data-driven modeling of cell-cell-communication networks in autoimmune diseases and/or tumor surveillance. (KT)
- PhD student in Systems Biology of Inflammation, focusing on the analysis of spatial gradients in cell-cell communication by PDE modeling and statistical image analysis. (KT)
- Data management and statistical analysis of biological data (e.g. single-cell omics, high-throughput histology and patient data) and/or
- Mathematical modeling of biological processes (incl. ordinary and partial differential equations, stochastic models) and/or
- Development of statistical inference and machine learning methods.
- Interpretation of analysis results.
- Collaboration with biologists and medical researchers.
- Publication of scientific results at conferences and in journals.
- For PostDocs also co-supervision of students.
- Master / PhD degree in (bio-)informatics, computational biology, computer science, mathematics, physics, or related fields
- Experience in some of the following fields: mathematical modelling (e.g. ODE and PDEs for biological processes), numerical optimization, machine learning, bioinformatics, and high-performance computing
- Programming skills (preferably Python, C++, R and/or CUDA)
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Passion for science and scientific work
The University of Bonn is committed to diversity and equal opportunity. It is certified as a family friendly university. It aims to increase the proportion of women in areas where women are under-represented and to promote their careers in particular. It therefore urges women with relevant qualifications to apply. Applications will be handled in accordance with the Landesgleichstellungsgesetz (State Equality Act). Applications from suitable individuals with a certified serious disability and those of equal status are particularly welcome.The deadline for the application round is March 30, 2021. Application documents (cover letter, CV, certificates, contact details of two referees) should be submitted as soon as possible as a single PDF file via email.
- Working in an innovative, well-equipped and scientifically stimulating environment
- A professional career development program for both PhD students and Postdocs
- Initial contract for 3 years with a standard public service salary (PhD student: 75% TV EntgO Bund EG 13; PostDoc: 100% TV EntgO Bund EG 13)
- Postdocs will have opportunities to obtain additional external funding and develop an independent research program during postdoctoral training.
Application documents (cover letter, CV, certificates, two reference letters) should be submitted as soon as possible as a single PDF file via email.