The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approx. 30 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment
Our programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. Applicants who are successful are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship. The programme, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the the last Friday of August each year.
The school is a collaboration between five of Europe's leading research institutes: Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CEMM), Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI), Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA), Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP) and the Max Perutz Labs (Max Perutz Labs) and is generously sponsored by the Max Birnstiel Foundation.
We encourage applications from students (BA (Hons), Master, MSc) from all around the world who are undergraduates/master students, and have completed at least two years of university study
To apply you need to have one of the following:
- Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor Hons study or 1 year of a Master study - by 30 June) as follows:
- (i) In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
- (ii) In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject WITH an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master program (this will be checked later)
- (iii) In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
- (iv) In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
- (v) In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (india) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience - Covid update, we understand that some students may not have been able to train/get enough research experience due to the pandemic and we will therefore accept applications that have gained training as part of their studies. Please explain this in your application
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies
When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference. While we cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, we will make our best efforts to do so.
Arrangements will be made for applicants from overseas to secure the necessary visas. Applicants should be aware that the working language of the institutes is English.
The website opens for applications at the beginning of December and closes on 31 January each year.
Successful applicants will be notified in the first week of March.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.