INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Thank you to everyone who has applied to speak at the 11th ICT4D Conference. We have received around 750 speaker applications so far and the main application period for speaking positions is now closed.
NEW TRACK AT 11TH ICT4D CONFERENCE – Apply until January 4, 2019!
We are delighted to announce that we have opened a limited call for speakers for sessions which will focus on Responsible Data and Information Security in the humanitarian and development sectors.
Please see 2019 Conference tracks for more details to help you focus your submission.
Submission deadline: Midnight PT January 4, 2019. We will notify you by email on the results of your application from January 2019. Please visit our website regularly for any further announcements and check your spam folders as some of our automated emails may be redirected by your email server settings.
Please note that the application period for other conference tracks closed on November 30, 2018.
Selection Process for Conference Track Sessions:
Speaking is a great way to share your experience in implementing ICT4D solutions, stimulate discussion about the challenges and best practices surrounding their use, and introduce people to new ways of doing relief and development work.
The ICT4D Conference Organizing Committee is working to achieve greater transparency and diversity at all levels of conference management.
Speakers for conference track sessions are selected on a competitive basis by the ICT4D Conference team and its partners
Once you start your application you will have the option to save your form and complete it at a later date via a link which will be emailed to you.
We will use the information you provide in the application to help us review and select presentations. We need to collect contact details and other information from you in order to process your application, inform you of the results and keep you updated with important logistical details related to participation in the ICT4D Conference. We will also ask you if you wish to opt-in to receive further updates and developments related to the ICT4D Conference and other events. You may unsubscribe from this at any time.
We particularly welcome applications from women, youth and people with disabilities.
Conference themes for 2019 are:
- Digital Financial Inclusion
- Digital Diversity: Gender and Disability Inclusion
- Education and Digital Literacy/Youth Engagement
- Health and Nutrition
- Humanitarian Response and Resilience
- Digital Development in Uganda
- Supply Chain
- Water Security (WASH, Water Resource Management)
Further guidance for completing the application form.
You will be asked to describe the objective of your session in 150 characters – the key message or lesson learned you wish to share with the audience.
In the ‘abstract body question’ please write a brief summary (1500 characters max) of your proposed presentation. Please refer to the selection criteria below to help ensure you include the most relevant details.
You will also be asked to upload a photo. Format: jpg preferred
png or pdf accepted (2MB max)
Please submit your application in English. We are not able to provide translation services for the ICT4D Conference.
All ICT4D Conference proceedings take place in English.
Conference track session formats will include:
40 minute case studies, presentations or speeches (including 10 minutes for Q&A)
10 minute Demonstration Stage presentations
40 minute panel discussions arranged by the ICT4D Conference Committee
Roundtable discussions arranged by the ICT4D Conference Committee
Speakers are selected with reference to the following criteria:
- Exceptional innovation in ICT4D
- Credibility and experience of the presenter and/or organization
- Clarity of the submitted abstract
- Relevance of abstract to conference themes
- Verifiable results and impact of the program/project
- Extent to which the program/project is replicable and scalable
- Diversity of speaker or program beneficiary: this includes but is not limited to gender, age, nationality, previous participation as a speaker, region where speaker is based
A limited number of scholarship awards are available to applicants to speak. These awards are primarily open to applicants from Local NGOs, NFPs or social enterprises or organizations headquartered in global south regions as defined by the World Bank. Awards are made by the ICT4D Conference Scholarship Committee and are based on criteria including a demonstration of excellence in ICT4D and economic need. You may opt to apply for a scholarship in your application to speak. We particularly encourage applicants in the youth category to apply. You will be asked to write a short essay outlining why you require a scholarship. Closing date for scholarship applications is January 4 2019.
- All abstracts submitted by the deadline will be considered. Those received after the deadline may be considered but will be placed on a waiting list.
- Applicants will be notified from January 2019 if their submission has been selected.
- You may also elect to be considered as a panellist in a session arranged by the ICT4D Conference Committee if your submission is not accepted in the first instance.
- All those offered presentation/demonstration stage/panel slots must confirm acceptance by the published deadline in January by paying the registration fees. Speaker discount is 20% less than the applicable standard rate for your region.
- If demand for speaking opportunities exceeds availability we may limit number of speaking opportunities available for individuals or organizations to help ensure a broad and diverse representation and coverage of topics, issues and perspectives.
- Speakers are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and conference fees. Please also ensure you obtain a Ugandan entry visa if applicable.
- April 19, 2019 – online submission deadline for presentation and associated materials to conference agenda site. Please use an accessible presentation format.
- We may make minor changes for layout and accessibility purposes.
IMPORTANT VENUE AND A/V INFORMATION
- All conference rooms will be equipped with display screen, laptop, and wireless internet connection. PA equipment will be available in larger rooms
- Speakers are responsible for provision of all peripheral equipment including adaptors, convertors and cable connectors for use with any additional equipment in Uganda
- Please ensure you upload your presentation onto our website by April 19 2019 and bring a back up copy for your use during the presentation on a USB