LML SUMMER SCHOOL 2019
LML is pleased to announce its 2019 Summer School. This will be held at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy from Monday 8th July to Friday 2nd August 2019. Applications are now open.
Postgraduate students will spend four weeks researching a project under the supervision of LML Fellows and colleagues from the ICTP and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA). Students will also attend a scientific writing course, and the School will culminate with student presentations of their research.
Travel to and from the Summer School, accommodation, and meals will be provided.
Summer School supervisors are active scientists and typically choose open research questions as projects. For many students, this is their first exposure to scientific progress in action, where asking the right questions is at least as important as finding the right answers. Previous students have found this experience changes their view of science as an activity and as a possible career.
LML will hold its Summer School outside London for the first time – in Trieste, Italy. The ICTP is a hub for physicists and mathematicians and a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world. Many ICTP alumni have been recognised for their contributions to science, education, research, and technology, while the centre has helped stem the scientific ‘brain drain’ from developing nations. ICTP is recognised by UNESCO as a Category 1 Institute.
By collaborating with ICTP and SISSA, the LML Summer School brings three world-leading scientific fellowships together and creates a unique opportunity for students.
- The Summer School is aimed at postgraduates.
- Applications are accepted from all countries and students from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
- Students must be able to travel from their home country to Italy and stay for the entire duration of the School.
- Students will be responsible for obtaining visas (if required), travel insurance, and health insurance.
- The School will be conducted in English, so students must have sufficiently good verbal and written English to produce technical reports and give seminars.