The Olivo and Vilma Andreazza Scholarship for children and grandchildren of Italian emigrants
In memory of Olivo and Vilma Andreazza, the Fondazione Giorgio Cini has created two 3-month residential scholarships to enable “second and third generation” Italians (i.e. children and grandchildren of Italians who emigrated to work abroad) to come to Italy for a study period at the Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture.
Each scholarship is worth 3,100 euros (gross sum) and 3 month accommodation free of charge in the Vittore Branca Center Residence.
The scholarships is offered to PhD or post-doc interested in studying Italian culture – especially that of the Veneto – with an interdisciplinary approach in one of the following fields: art history, literature, music, drama, early printed books, Venetian history and comparative cultures and spiritualities. Candidates are required to propose a research topic specifically focused on the archives and documents kept in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.
Type of Scholarship
Each residential scholarship is divided as follows:
- a gross sum of 3,100 euros as a contribution to general expenses, travel and board, paid in monthly installments at the end of each month residency period by bank transfer only;
- accommodation free of charge for three months in the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore and free use of the Vittore Branca Center facilities.
The Vittore Branca Center Offers
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers the opportunity for interdisciplinary exchanges with fellow scholars attending the Center as well as with the academic community at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
Facilities and benefits include:
- The Libraries and Photo Library in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, specialized in art history, Venetian history, literature, music, dance, drama and early printed books. The libraries are equipped with wi-fi. Vittore Branca Center scholars can enjoy advice by specialists and the possibility of borrowing books.
- Cultural events (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, etc.) organized by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini. Residents thus have the opportunity to explore the broader background to their own work.
- The Residence - situated in the grounds of the Island, the Residence can accommodate around 90 scholars in self-catering mini-apartments with a telephone, cable connection to Internet (residents need to bring their own ethernet cable) and shared laundry services. Kitchen facilities enable residents to economize on food expenses. The Residence also has reception, surveillance and cleaning services plus a laundromat and food dispensers. To encourage social life and exchanges of ideas, there are a number of shared spaces for use by all guests: the living room, music room, fitness area and terrace.
- Tutors to assist scholarship holders in becoming familiar with the island and its documentary and artistic heritage as well as offering guidance about the cultural offering of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and the city of Venice in general.
- Other services, such as:
- work station with wi-fi in the Nuova Manica Lunga, the Fondazione’s main documentary center;
- an international newspaper library, available in the Residence living room;
- social initiatives specifically aimed at residents;
- guidance on the Venetian heritage and on how to use libraries and archives in the city of Venice.
Requirements for Scholarship Holders
- Stay in the Vittore Branca Center Residence for three consecutive months in the chosen period (May 2018 – May 2019). Trips for research purposes, attending conferences or work commitments related to the research project at the Vittore Branca Center must be documented in writing in advance and will not be added to the days of absence for personal reasons. Days of absence for personal reasons must not add up to more than 15 days. Absences are counted from Monday to Saturday; Sundays are excluded.
- Present their research project to the academic and professional community at the Fondazione and to scholars and researchers at the Vittore Branca Center during the scholarship period and attend all presentations of other scholarship holders’ research projects during their residency;
- Report regularly to their academic tutor on research work in progress and submit a written report of 10 pages on the status of their research project at the end of their residency;
- Mention the scholarship, using the exact wording, in their curriculum vitae and in any publications associated with their research at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
Application and Selection
Candidates shall send their scholarship application in hard copy, complete with the required documents by registered post or courier to:
Fondazione Giorgio Cini onlus Secretariat
Vittore Branca Center
Island of San Giorgio Maggiore
30124 Venice Italy
Applications must include the following documents:
- application form – printed document
- degree certificate(s) with marks for individual exams, or an equivalent or superior qualification – printed documents;
- a copy of a degree dissertation (for PhD students) or doctorate thesis (for postdoctorate researchers) and copies of any other relevant academic works – stored on CD ROM, DVD or USB pen;
- curriculum vitae, including knowledge of languages, and authorization to handle private data according to Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003 –printed documents;
- description of the research topic (around 1,500 words) proposed by the candidate, specifying aims, time scale, and materials and documents to be consulted at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini – printed document;
- 3 reference letters from professors and scholars who supervise or have supervised the candidate (N.B. the letters must be originals printed on headed notepaper of the relevant university or institution).
Candidates considered to be suitable on the grounds of the documents presented will be invited for an interview in Italian or English by telephone or video-link with one or more directors of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and may be asked to provide supplementary information.
The scholarships will be awarded by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini with no right of appeal.
Both positive and negative results of the assessment of the scholarship applications will be communicated by mid-April 2018.
The Fondazione Giorgio Cini will not return any of the documents received. Any candidates wishing to have their documents returned shall arrange a courier at their own expense.
Anyone who has already been awarded a scholarship to the Vittore Branca Center is not eligible to re-apply, whereas previously unsuccessful candidates may apply again.
For Further Information click "Link to Original" below