WORLD UNIVERSITY PREPARATION (UK)
A UNIVERSITY PREPARATION SUMMER COURSE FOR 16-18 YEAR OLDS
World University Preparation (WUP) advises students about where and how to apply to university. WUP provides international students with the best possible chance of applying to leading UK institutions.
A mix of 1:1 tutorials, small-group classes, UCAS application workshops and university style lectures guide students through the application system and provide an insight into life as an undergraduate at a top UK university.
INCLUDED IN WORLD UNIVERSITY PREPARATION (UK):
- Full-board accommodation in a Cambridge University College
- Airport transfers
- Personalised report card & certificate
- Ticket to a performance at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
- One-to-one tutorials with a specialist advisor
- Traditional University Formal Dinner in College dining hall
- World University Preparation requires an upper-intermediate level of English (B2).
- The age range for students is 16-18.
- The course is intended for students that are serious about attending university in the United Kingdom.
The course content is divided into several main areas for students to study. Each topic is delivered as a lecture to the whole student body, or as an interactive workshop in smaller groups. Please note that some specific topics may be altered or adapted during the summer, but the programme will include the following content:
UK University Admission Process Seminars
These seminars are designed to introduce students to the complex UK university admissions process. Anyone applying to a UK university must go through the UCAS (University and Colleges Admissions Services) system and produce a very important personal statement.
Most international students will also be invited to interview, and all applicants to Oxford and Cambridge must attend an interview.
- The UCAS System & Requirements
- Interview Techniques
- Writing Personal Statements
- Applying to ‘Oxbridge’ for International Students
During the WUP course, students will receive sessions on how to succeed at interview as well as preparing a personal statement. By the end of the programme, students should have a draft version of a personal statement to develop.
Cultural Understanding Lectures
The Cultural Understanding Lectures will give students a broader overview of life in the UK, and more importantly, life as a student in the UK. Students will hear personal stories from tutors about their experiences as a student at leading universities.
The following lectures are offered:
- The UK Educational System (Higher and Further Education)
- UK Examinations
- UK Student Life
- Shakespeare’s Life and Plays
- British Royalty & Political Systems
Aptitude and Logic
Students take classes that focus on the following areas:
- Critical Thinking
- General Studies
- English for Academic Purposes
- Morrisby Tests
Academic aptitude covers a range of skills from advanced English Language communication skills to TSA Testing. The General Studies and Critical Thinking modules are designed to test critical thinking. Top universities aren’t so much interested in how much a student knows; but are much more interested in how one develops their thoughts and construct arguments.
TSA testing is a pre-interview test for Oxford University, although lots of universities ask students to sit similar exams before being accepted. It is designed to test students’ problem solving skills and introduce them to the level of critical thinking that top universities are looking for.
In order to experience an insight into UK university classroom life, students can choose two of the following four options to take in small class sizes:
- Economics & Management
- Science for Medical Students
- Introduction to the Arts
University learning is very different to school learning, which therefore means that the skills needed are also entirely different. These workshops will introduce students to essential study skills, such as surviving university lectures, revising effectively, and how to write university level essays.
- How to Survive University Lectures
- Revision Techniques
- How to Write a University Essay
As well as these group classes and lectures each student will benefit from a one-to-one tutorial with a personal tutor at the beginning and end of their WUP course. During these tutorials students will discuss the following areas:
- Life goals
- University goals
- Short and long-term ambitions
- Personal study plan
All of our tutors have a wealth of experience in higher education so students are encouraged to make the most of this opportunity to ask them anything they need to know. The tutors will also give personal feedback that will help students make choices about their university and degree course.
Dates & Fees
The price per week at World University Preparation (UK) is £1470.
|LENGTH OF STAY||DATES||LOCATION|
|2 Weeks||28 June – 12 July||Corpus Christi College|
|12 July – 26 July||Corpus Christi College|
Included in Course Fees
Prices are fully inclusive, meaning that the only money students need to bring is for souvenirs!
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the College
- Packed meals on excursion days
- Wi-Fi available throughout the College
- Personal travel insurance
- Transfers to and from Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports
- Laundry once a week
- Personalised report card and certificate presented at graduation ceremony
- 1:1 and small group tuition
- Welcome packs on arrival
- Study materials
Please visit Global Education Fair 2016 in Yerevan (14 May 2016, Best Western Congress Hotel, Picasso Hall ) for more information about this program and scholarship opportunities