Virginia International University (VIU) offers a unique opportunity to acquire an excellent, multi-disciplinary education at an affordable cost by offering students access to scholarships. VIU has been attracting individuals who take their VIU experiences into their own cultures, share their knowledge with future generations, and launch successful careers. Thus, there are several different types of scholarships available based on exemplary personal skills, academic achievement, extracurricular participation, on-campus work, and residency.
The Transfer-In Scholarship is awarded to students who are transferring to Virginia International University for the first time from another college or university in the United States. This scholarship assists students who are looking for a fresh start at our university and to those who have committed to educational success throughout their lifetime. This scholarship is awarded to first time, first semester transfer-in students only.
Amount: $500 per academic year ($250 per semester)
Scholarship Rules and Regulations
1.1 Students who are awarded a scholarship must reapply each year if they want to be considered for the scholarship for the next academic year. There is no guarantee that the scholarship will be awarded for the following year. 1.2 Students are eligible to apply for up to two scholarship types, but they will be eligible to receive only one scholarship per academic year. 1.3 All documents must be received by the application deadline. Incomplete applications will automatically be denied. 1.4 Scholarship application period opens three times a year (Spring I, Summer I, and Fall I). 1.4.1 Returning students are eligible to apply for scholarships for Spring, Summer, or Fall semesters. 1.4.2 The New Horizon scholarship accepts applications for Spring, Summer, or Fall. 1.5 Academic merit holds the highest weight in the review of most scholarship applications. In the case of a tie, the committee will rely on this hierarchy to make their award decision. 1.6 Applicants must submit one application for each scholarship for which they wish to apply.
- Scholarships are awarded as credit towards tuition only. The award amount will be divided into installments and the credit will be deducted from the total tuition charged for each semester.
- Scholarships cannot be awarded to applicants who receive any VIU discount or outside scholarship funding besides Financial Aid (e.g., government scholarships, academic collaboration-related funding, etc.).
- Cumulative GPA can be rounded one decimal place for eligibility requirements.
- Student must maintain the requirements for the scholarship for which they applied in order to continue receiving the scholarship for the subsequent semester.
- Evidence of English language proficiency is required depending on the type of scholarship.
- Students must be in good standing with the university in order to apply for any scholarship.
- Scholarship awardees must agree to sign a Media Release Form authorizing VIU to use their picture, video, and/or testimonial for scholarship marketing purposes.
- VIU full-time staff is only eligible to apply for the VIU Staff Workforce Development Scholarship.
- Students who are awarded with a scholarship during their last semester cannot apply the full awarded amount to one semester; only half of the scholarship amount will be applied to the student’s last semester of study.
- Students who apply for Work on Campus scholarship will be automatically granted the award if eligibility requirements are met. However, VIU has the right to retrieve the amount awarded for the Work on Campus scholarship within 30 consecutive days if a student resigns or is let go from the position.
- Students must be enrolled full time in one of VIU’s on-ground degree or language programs in order to receive the scholarship award.
- VIU has the right to request original documentation. Submission of fabricated or false documents will result in immediate dismissal of the application and will disqualify the individual from applying to the scholarship program in the future. Documents submitted for application purposes will not be returned to the applicant.
- There is no guarantee that a scholarship will be awarded solely because the applicant meets the requirements, eligibility, and/or fulfilment of the scholarship criteria. All applicants should submit their application and follow proper procedures.
How to Apply
To apply for a scholarship, students must follow these steps:
- Create an application
- Pay the application fee
- Our application fee is $ 20; for students requiring student visa processing, the fee is $100. Application fee is non-refundable.
- This fee can be paid online using a valid credit card. For applicants who are unable to pay by credit card, VIU will accept checks, money orders, and wire transfers.
- Upload necessary documents
- All of documents need to be uploaded in the application portal as .pdf files.
- Only scanned color copies of the original document will be accepted for admission purposes.
- Check your application status and make any necessary changes
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
- Regularly check your email and application portal for further updates.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: